Discuss Upgrading Meter Tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

s6stu

-
Reaction score
Hi people, just a quickie about upgrading meter tails. I know it's supposed to be the leccy boards jurisdiction, but I always get told that the electricians do it when I call the local supplier. I've not got a problem doing this and have done so before, but i'm not sure which meters have tamper alarms and which don't.

Any suggestions on your usual preferred method or how to tell the meters apart?

Last edited:
Hi people, just a quickie about upgrading meter tails. I know it's supposed to be the leccy boards jurisdiction, but I always get told that the electricians do it when I call the local supplier. I've not got a problem doing this and have done so before, but i'm not sure which meters have tamper alarms and which don't.

Any suggestions on your usual preferred method or how to tell the meters apart?

Tamper alarms............. do they?

This where the system falls flat on it's face. Sparkies are expected to fit 25mm tails into CUs but more often than not, the incoming meter tails are either 6 or 16mm!

The local electric boards don't much like people interfering with the meter seals - they're paranoid about people fiddling the meter. Not much chance these days with the new electronic ones. No contractors sw on the meter I suppose?

You have two choices - unseal and remove the cut-out fuse only and assuming 16mm tails from the meter to the CU, fit link boxes, or remove cut-out AND meter seals and fit 25mm tails directly to meter and either inform supply authority about re-sealing or let meter reader report it.

never heard of tamper alarms, everything past the meter is nothing to do with the board anyway so the tails from the meter to the consumer unit are yours to up grade if you feel the need.

Some do have alarms as i've already caused problems due to an alarm. It was on a key meter and would not allow a top up to be made after I had removed the face, therefore requiring the board to come out. At which point I got a bit of a rollicking and accusations of fraud!!

I need to upgrade the tails between the fuse and the meter as well as to the cu as they are only in 16mm.

I was told recently that the Western Power Distribution would charge £80 to put new seals back on if somebody had messed with them (the charge would go to the spark not the householder if they could find a EIC). However they charge £40 ish to stick an Isolator. I'd try to track down your DNO it may be simplier.

Andy

Some do have alarms as i've already caused problems due to an alarm. It was on a key meter and would not allow a top up to be made after I had removed the face, therefore requiring the board to come out. At which point I got a bit of a rollicking and accusations of fraud!!

I need to upgrade the tails between the fuse and the meter as well as to the cu as they are only in 16mm.

I am a licensed meter changer and the first thing i would ask you is why were you removing the face. To change the tails you only need to remove the lower terminal cover. The face cover does have a anti tamper switch inside and i am not going to post on here how to get round it or reset it.
Second, if you are changing the tails in the cutout you must take several precautions as one little slip and you will have 600amps up your arm (i can assure you it is not pleasant).

Third, If you have had a problem with the electric company before and they have accused you of fiddling, i think you should leave well alone. The DNO or electric supplier only have to have reasonable suspicion that you are tampering with there supply and they can get a court order to discontinue your supply under the ESQCR.

[QUOTEI was told recently that the Western Power Distribution would charge £80 to put new seals back on if somebody had messed with them (the charge would go to the spark not the householder if they could find a EIC). However they charge £40 ish to stick an Isolator. I'd try to track down your DNO it may be simplier.
][/QUOTE]

If you don't tell them in advance that is correct. Little tip, if you phone them up with a fault on your meter ie burning smell:rolleyes: they will come out straight away and fit a new meter and if you ask nice they will fit a isolator for free:D

'I am a licensed meter changer and the first thing i would ask you is why were you removing the face. To change the tails you only need to remove the lower terminal cover.'

Sorry, this is what I meant. I only need to gain access to the terminals.

Last edited:
i dont cut the seals i allways remove the terminal cover on the cut out and do it that way but as spark doctor says you must be carefull,i allways remove the live sorry line first then the neutral and do it neutral fist when connecting back up.

I am puzzled as to why the discussion is about various ways of changing tails from the cut out to the meter

(Unless my quick read through the thread gave me the wrong impression)

The meter tails from the fuse to the meter are the property and responsibility of the supplier and not in our remit to alter

If the consumers tails are upgraded or changed and access is required to connect them,so be it,cut the seal and away to go
If you dont want to cut the seal,connect the new tails to the old via henley blocks and lodge a test form to the supplier,who charge about £ 16 I believe,to come and make the connection

Last edited:
I am a licensed meter changer and the first thing i would ask you is why were you removing the face. To change the tails you only need to remove the lower terminal cover. The face cover does have a anti tamper switch inside and i am not going to post on here how to get round it or reset it.
Second, if you are changing the tails in the cutout you must take several precautions as one little slip and you will have 600amps up your arm (i can assure you it is not pleasant).

Third, If you have had a problem with the electric company before and they have accused you of fiddling, i think you should leave well alone. The DNO or electric supplier only have to have reasonable suspicion that you are tampering with there supply and they can get a court order to discontinue your supply under the ESQCR.

[QUOTEI was told recently that the Western Power Distribution would charge £80 to put new seals back on if somebody had messed with them (the charge would go to the spark not the householder if they could find a EIC). However they charge £40 ish to stick an Isolator. I'd try to track down your DNO it may be simplier.
]

If you don't tell them in advance that is correct. Little tip, if you phone them up with a fault on your meter ie burning smell:rolleyes: they will come out straight away and fit a new meter and if you ask nice they will fit a isolator for free:D[/QUOTE]

nice tip that'll be tried all over no doubt.

I am puzzled as to why the discussion is about various ways of changing tails from the cut out to the meter

(Unless my quick read through the thread gave me the wrong impression)

The meter tails from the fuse to the meter are the property and responsibility of the supplier and not in our remit to alter

If the consumers tails are upgraded or changed and access is required to connect them,so be it,cut the seal and away to go
If you dont want to cut the seal,connect the new tails to the old via henley blocks and lodge a test form to the supplier,who charge about £ 16 I believe,to come and make the connection

If you went with the henley block would you not be fulfilling requirements if the old tails were to small? but I guess thats why you lodge the test. :cool:

pull fuse, fit your own isolator, upgrade cu tails to new isolator, main earth to met then let dno sort the rest of there rubbish out, its always a case of oh you cant pull that or do this , well do your job then and come sort this rubbish out, sick to death of improving their side of supply just for some muppet to moan oh you not allowed to do that - no im not but theres not much chance of getting anyone elese to do it....

You CANT Touch the meter--its out of your legal jurisdiction,you can leave new tails(16/25) hanging from a 60/80 SFCU around the time you smell a fault at the meter,I.E burning and its the local supply companies Obligation,to ensure that their tails,meter side ,are up to scratch...bear in mind,most meter fitters/changers arent sparks,so there commences another battle.....Be Lucky!!!

Reply to Upgrading Meter Tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock