Discuss Upgrading MR16 TO GU10 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atpm

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a failed transformer in a bedroom and want to convert all the bulbs in this bedroom to GU10 (4 bulbs) This is so I can use LED bulbs without hassle.

Is there any type of notification needed for this type of work? Can I just get on with it?

Thanks

I am competant enough to do this.
Regarding the earths I have already checked the current setup and they are still there (connected via a junction box)

In regards to getting it tested I will be having a new consumer unit installed in the coming months so the circuit will be tested then.

Yes a complete board change to RCBOs.. I assume they will test every circuit during this upgrade? Would this be classed as a electrical inspection report?

The plan was to change all the lamp holders.

So you need to get some sparks to quote you for the board and lighting tests.

A board change needs to be tested and inspected and you will need to check that said sparks will be providing you with an EIC. An EIC is not a report, thats an EICR which is not a suitable certificate for a board change

If you are in England or Wales this work falls under Part P of the building regs and again, you need to check that said spark is going to cover this will self certification ............

Those downlights are designed for ise with selv (12v) not 240v imo no you cannot just change the lampholder if the body of the downlight is metalic it not sould be earthed via the cpc. Far simpler/better/safer to install new fire rated led downlights, reccomend tamlight, than p***ing about with the old ones.

Those downlights are designed for ise with selv (12v) not 240v imo no you cannot just change the lampholder if the body of the downlight is metalic it not sould be earthed via the cpc. Far simpler/better/safer to install new fire rated led downlights, reccomend tamlight, than p***ing about with the old ones.

It's not the 1st of April yet is it ??:D

Those downlights are designed for ise with selv (12v) not 240v imo no you cannot just change the lampholder if the body of the downlight is metalic it not sould be earthed via the cpc.

How can you possibly state that? I'm not aware of any photo's and there are downlights on the market with both leads in the packaging.

If there are downlights on the market with both leads out they must be class 2 fittings. How can i state that, because the body of the standard 12v downlight has not been designed for a 240v lampholder simple.

Reply to Upgrading MR16 TO GU10 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net