Discuss Upstairs Fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sl1210

Hi guys got another quick question.

I am going to change 2 fuseboxes in a house tomorrow. Now the main one under the stairs does all the ground floor sockets, kitchen etc and i will fit a 17th edition dual rcd board.

The second fusebox is upstairs fed from a henley block under the stairs and supplies all the upstairs circuits lights, sockets etc.

Now i was only going to put a 5 way main switch board upstairs because there is only 3 circuits, and probably use rcbo's.

My question is could i put a board with an rcd as a main switch supplying the mcb's, or does it need to be a dual rcd board or rcbo's like normal even if it is only doing the upstairs??

Cheers

I assume the tails to the upstairs db are more that 3m from the cutout, and only protected by the main fuse? Also depending on the route taken by the tails to upstairs you may have to have them rcd protected

16mm t+e feeding the upstairs board. probably just under 3 meters. run through partition so i think their fine

i will probably just stick to my original rcbo idea, was just curious if it was allowed to have a main rcd protecting all the circuits upstairs ;0))

I think you need a switch fuse for the sub!
If not 30ma Rcd if less than 50mm deep.

If he supplies the upstairs from an RCD device downstairs, he'll stand a very good chance of losing the whole upstairs anyway, whether using RCBO's upstairs or not, ....unless it's an S type device!!!

If he supplies the upstairs from an RCD device downstairs, he'll stand a very good chance of losing the whole upstairs anyway, whether using RCBO's upstairs or not, ....unless it's an S type device!!!

Yes my point E54. But if just T and E buried less than 50mm it needs 30mA protection doesn't it......
Hopefully it's not buried lol

If the supply to upstairs is less than 50mm in partition wall it should be protected by rcd you could alsosay it needs a separate sw fuse if not, I bet the 16mm T&I into the henley blocks does not look the best probably with the single insulated cores sticking out. Although if the mains to the upstairs db is less than 3m and can be used as a draw wire through the partition (assuming the house is not split into two flats) then it would not take much work to extend the ring and lighting circuit to be fed from the one db. Then you can have a dual rcd board and no problems splitting your circuits between them correctly?

I'm with Pik on this one, probably easier and cheaper to extend the current circuits to meet the new board. Either joint with MF kits of DIN rail box, other options available.

I'm with Pik on this one, probably easier and cheaper to extend the current circuits to meet the new board. Either joint with MF kits of DIN rail box, other options available.

This would be my preferred option too, keep everything in one place.

Also, if two boards in two different places then wouldn't they still need a main isolator to switch off both on one main switch?

for only 3 circuits upstairs, extend the circuits the 3m or so to a single CU downstairs. no brainer, really.

Personnel opinion is put all in one board on the ground floor as stated above, unless you really need to have an upstairs i.e. seperate flat, rented etc...
Doesnt make sense all this messig around when you can just extend the circuits to the lower level.

Reply to Upstairs Fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock