Discuss Urgent cooker element help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I'm about to replace a cooker element and seen the grey connector wires clip has blown. Is there a reason its done this? And how can i replace the clip or will the whole wire be damaged? Also is the white wire in the picture show damaged and dangerous because it looks like its been burn on the top bit. Thanks in advance
[automerge]1599829049[/automerge]

Attachments

• IMG_20200911_134411.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 54
The terminal probably has not been making good contact to the element. Having got hot, it is corroded and will have lost its spring temper, so even if you pinch it closed, it probably won't make good contact to the new one and will continue to overheat and burn out.

The wire will be corroded too, so the end needs to be cut back to clean conductor. If there is enough length to chop off the last 2-3 cm it should be OK to fit another crimp to the same wire, otherwise replace. Not all crimp terminals are suitable for the temperatures involved here.

The white cable may be OK if the insulation has not gone brittle where it is discoloured. Discolouration in itself is not uncommon but if it has gone hard then it could break off and leave the conductor exposed.

The terminal probably has not been making good contact to the element. Having got hot, it is corroded and will have lost its spring temper, so even if you pinch it closed, it probably won't make good contact to the new one and will continue to overheat and burn out.

The wire will be corroded too, so the end needs to be cut back to clean conductor. If there is enough length to chop off the last 2-3 cm it should be OK to fit another crimp to the same wire, otherwise replace. Not all crimp terminals are suitable for the temperatures involved here.

The white cable may be OK if the insulation has not gone brittle where it is discoloured. Discolouration in itself is not uncommon but if it has gone hard then it could break off and leave the conductor exposed.
Thank you very helpful what crimp will i need male or female?

Hi I'm about to replace a cooker element and seen the grey connector wires clip has blown. Is there a reason its done this? And how can i replace the clip or will the whole wire be damaged? Also is the white wire in the picture show damaged and dangerous because it looks like its been burn on the top bit. Thanks in advance
[automerge]1599829049[/automerge]
Kelly yes it’s burnt and it appears to me that high temperature wire wasn’t used, any cooker I’ve dealt with had high temperature wire and that’s seems to be the case here. So it should be replaced

Thank you very helpful what crimp will i need male or female?
That looks like the remains of a female "flag" type of push-on connector. The flag style has the cable coming out at right-angles to the push-on direction, a but like the pole supporting a flag.

This is the sort of thing I mean:
Or in smaller packs:

Correctly crimping that needs a different tool from the usual red/blue/yellow type, such as this:

If you already have the usual insulated crimp tool (or can borrow one, but please get a ratchet type) then you could get an insulated terminal but It is possible the operating temperature there is way too high for normal plastic. For example:

It is easier to get the normal push-on type, but there may be a clearance issue that demands the flag style.
[automerge]1599903205[/automerge]
This is a cheap example of a ratchet crimp tool for the 'insulated' crimp connectors:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crimping-tool-9/3137v

ratchett crimp tools for a 1 off job??? what's wrong with a hammer? :tongueout: :tongueout:

Stop - hammer time?
[automerge]1599914570[/automerge]
RS used to do a cheaper pliers-style of crimp tool for the uninsulated terminals, but no longer.

Without a proper crimper I would use pliers and then solder it, but that is usually a bit out of DIY range and it might even be too hot for that - not clear if that is plastic insulated wire or something really high-temp like glassfibre braid, etc.
[automerge]1599914664[/automerge]
Actually looking at the photo again it appears to be plastic insulation, so not such a problem for using 'insulated' type of crimps, etc.

Reply to Urgent cooker element help needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net