Discuss ***URGENT*** Cosyspa (brand new) Serious fault, Advice Welcomed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
Where I'm staying at the moment, the lady ordered a cozyspa. Anyway after a day of it being plugged in the plug melted and filled the house with smoke. You'll see from the pictures the damage caused.
Approx 15 minutes after it happening the company rang up and said not to plug it in and a new plug has been posted.

Your expert thoughts on this would be appreciated!

4.jpg

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

The rating of the SPA is well within the current rating of a regular household socket. There are two probable causes for this:
1. The spa plug might be faulty. You are getting a new one. Good.
2.The socket itself looks like it may have been in use for a good many years aand the socket contacts maybe worn or faulty. You are going to have to replace it anyway. Make sure you buy a reputable make.
the combination of new socket + new plug should solve the issue!

A socket that has been unused for some time might well have the odd extra 0.1 ohm or more resistance. At 10 amps that is 10W of heat - not good!

If you are plugging something in with a big load to an infrequency used socket then inserting/removing the plug a few times (with the switch off) and operating the switch several time (with the appliance unplugged) can help clear tarnish off contacts.

But here is it RIP socket!

Look at the Earth pin, it's got green corrosion on it.

Is this a Hired spa, that's probably not been in use for the last few Covid months and maybe stored outside or in semi open areas?

Look at the Earth pin, it's got green corrosion on it.

Is this a Hired spa, that's probably not been in use for the last few Covid months and maybe stored outside or in semi open areas?

I thought at first it was a sleeved earth pin, then settled on residue from melting of that adaptor. Hard to see enough detail, but it does look as though you're right.

The Spa was purchased brand new mid lockdown. It only turned up 3 days ago now.

They sent the new plug double fast. And a video link of how to connect it. I don't think I'll bother and fit a Uk plug instead as suggested by the poster above. Thanks for all the replies, means a lot!
plug.jpg:anguished::anguished:

The Spa was purchased brand new mid lockdown. It only turned up 3 days ago now.

They sent the new plug double fast. And a video link of how to connect it. I don't think I'll bother and fit a Uk plug instead as suggested by the poster above. Thanks for all the replies, means a lot!
View attachment 59994:anguished::anguished:

Yeah bin that and fit a decent UK one.

Did the company happen to call out of the blue, as your first post suggests, or in response to a call from you?

Your wording makes me wonder if there had been a problem with the fitted adaptor orignally sent.

Those adaptors are generally very good, but there are some clear differences between the two pictured and I wonder if the new one is a genuine product from Power Connections and the original a fake...

I note that Power Connections have a page on their website about counterfeit products. It may be that the spa company supplied such an adaptor, potentially with poor contact between plug and adaptor, hence their action.

Reply to ***URGENT*** Cosyspa (brand new) Serious fault, Advice Welcomed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net