Discuss Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Baker1988

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello i was wondering if any one could help me i am doing my level 3 at college and have a bit of knowlege but not loads the problem is i woke up this morning and my electric wasnt working i checked the meter and every thing seems fine then i checked the db and it had power too it if i turn all the mcbs off and then turn the 6 amp lighting on the light will work if i tirn another light on the first light goes dim and so does the second light if i turn another one on every thing seems to go off like some sort ov voltage drop problem so i got my multi meter and checked how much voltage was coming in and it read 201 volts and then i turned one of the lights on and tested it on the incoming supple and it went down to 156 volts then i teturned another light on and tested it and it said 78 volts does any one know whats wrong any help would be great as i have never seen this happen before

Have you tightened the Tails coming into the CU ? Did you check the voltage across the incoming tails ? If you did & the voltage is dropping coming into the CU then you may have bad connections at the Meter or Service head & thats a DNO repair. Unless you can safely isolate the system then you should'nt be touching anything, just remember that a Multimeter is'nt classed as proof of Safe isolation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a loose connection on the supply side.

Can you safely isolate your CU to check the soundness of all the terminals???

as above. sounds like a loose connection on the supply side. isolate CU. measure volts across the incoming tails at the main switch. if below 230v, then measure L/E. if this is the same, then it's a fault on L. if it's higher, then yhe fault is on the N. loose tails is favorite. or even a poor connection to tghe busbar in the CU. check that the busbar is located correctly and not behind the back of the terminal/s on main switch and MCBs.

Last edited:
Yes i checked the voltage accross the incoming tails and it was 201 volts i have checked if the tails coming into the board was loose and they was tight and i safely isolated the full supply by removing the 100 amp main bs 88 fuse before tightening any thing

Hope you did'nt cut the DNO seal to do it:nono: if the drop is on the incoming side then you need to contact your DNO.
NO your too right you should'nt have bypassed the meter, more than 1 have been killed by doing things like that and there's absolutely no reason for it.

CALL THE DNO & learn your limitations before you kill yourself.

I didnt cut any seals they wasnt any on it maby from some on previous tenent cutting them but i wouldnt cut them and i have just got off the phone with them but they cant get any one out to come look till tomorrow. So do u think it is on the supply side and they is nothing i can do to try to rectify the problem

I didnt cut any seals they wasnt any on it maby from some on previous tenent cutting them but i wouldnt cut them and i have just got off the phone with them but they cant get any one out to come look till tomorrow. So do u think it is on the supply side and they is nothing i can do to try to rectify the problem

Sorry mate but people saying things like that, really wind me up. I've had to attend more than 1 inquest on people who've done silly things.
If your in rented accomodation, is it local authority ? if it is then you can ring them & get their Emergency engineer out, when they find it's a supply fault they can call the DNO & they've got more clout than you or me, it certainly sounds like you've got a supply problem. You also need to be aware that if the DNO have any inkling that you've been messing with their equipment they can disconnect your supply & take you to court for it.

Rather strange that the DNO can't get anyone out till tomorrow on a supply fault

Are any of your neighbours having electric supply problems, it might be worth checking and call the DNO back to get someone out pronto

I know i shouldnt but i even by passed the meter entirely and put the tails directly into the consumer unit and it was the same

1. Ohms law should have told you this was not required. If you see low volts at the supply side of the CU master switch and the switch is OFF then there is a DNO / meter supplier issue and you do not need to go any further. If you saw normal normal volts (252-216) which then dropped as you put more load on then you might have had a problem at the CU terminals, but you would have probably seen damage round the CU due to I2R heating.
2. Did you have to break the meter seals, let alone the DNO fuse cutout?

I would suggest that you call the emergency number for your DNO now, whilst there is some light (just!!)

Thanks for all your help guys they have just rang me back they have checked it at the sub station and its on the supply side they are sending a jointing team now to dig it up out side

I do think that is Doggy Doo...... Phone them up and say the lights have now gone out.. That will get the moving.

I know i should not of by passed the meter i know this but i did not break any seals i wouldnt break them as i know they can refuse me a supply your all saying that i did cut them but i have no reason to lie to any of you i did not cut any seals

I know i should not of by passed the meter i know this but i did not break any seals i wouldnt break them as i know they can refuse me a supply your all saying that i did cut them but i have no reason to lie to any of you i did not cut any seals

No mate: Were not all saying you cut the Seals at all, we've all seen many that have'nt got any seals. The point were all trying to get across to you is that what you did was potentially Lethal & rather than talking to you we could have ended up reading your obituary in the paper, none of us wants to see another Sparky / Apprentice getting seriously injured or Killed & by giving you a -------ing we'll hopefully stop you doing it again. What you need to realise though, is that just bypassing the Meter leaves you open to Prosecution (Best say nothing to the DNO boys). By the way: what multimeter did you use ?

Baker - don't fret man, by your own admission you know a little but not enough, so now you know some more - from the RIGHT side of meter is yours, from the left is theirs, and ne'er the two shall meet.

I know but i test every thing before i touch it to make sure it is dead i wouldnt work live and i am not sure the exact model but its made by fluke it is my bosses that i had in my car

I know everyone has already said this but cutting seals CAN be seen as a criminal offence, as in effect, you are tampering with equipment that does not belong to you, plus the fact that it can be dangerous pulling fuses as a lot of older ones can fall apart in your hands.

However, it sounds like the DNO have found the issue and are sorting it.

If they will let you, get some pics :D

Reply to Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock