Discuss Urgent loop in help required!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Akina

Hi everyone

I hope all is well. I've joined to expand upon my knowledge and become a more competent and safer electrician! I hope I can find the answers I require through this site! My first post comes with some questions, I hope you experts don't mind helping an apprentice!

So my college lecturer has asked me to wire some circuits. So far I've wired a ring with a few sockets and a spur, 2 way lighting with an emergency key switch in single cables using conventional wiring and now I've to wire a loop in system using 2 C+E. I have no on site experience of this so to say I'm confused is an understatement! Not to mention my college lecturer doesn't want to give any hints! So I need to know how it works, he expects me to just be able to do it.

So this is what I have to do...

null_zpsbf14283c.jpg

And I've drawn it like so...

null_zpsa5081caf.jpg

would this be correct? For some reason I can't get my head around using the 2C+E! Singles is much easier!!

Anyway thanks for your time and any answers.

:)

your missing a cable from lights.

you need perm live into common then sw live to live in lamp.

you have drawn it so only first switch will turn on lights in room 1,2 and 3

im guessing rm1,2,3 are room 1,2,3

you only need a perm l,n and e to each light

then L to common and a Sw going to live in lamp

Last edited:
Although we dont do homework on here as a rule ... a little guidance as you've shown your attempt isn't a problem.... i suggest you get you college notes and review how to show a wiring plan of this kind, you have here a load of joints ...where are you connecting your lamps to, the 2way seems to have a live feed one end and a switch wire connected to live the other end....You express using t&e cable yet you show L / N / L1 which would be 3 core and Earth.

Your Tutor has expressed he wont aid you mainly because this in his opinion should be the level at which you are at..... this is the big drawback of learning without onsite experience, also this isn't like school you really need to study to learn you can't wing this as one day this learning will protect lives...... Sorry if blunt but you need to bring yourself up to speed with what is expected of you at this point in your lessons.

You wiring plans should resemble this to show your understanding, i seriously hope you are doing a full college course and not one of these fast track wonders but recommend you get on-site training as well, otherwise you have just wasted your money.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Darkwood, usually I would look through my guidance notes but I have them at my parents place which I'm currently not at. Tomorrow I shall go there and have a look over the notes!

thanks all. It'll be wired in clicks/Greggs. So I'll have a loop, A for em, L, N + E?

so my SW wire to L, loop live to LOOP right?...

Ill reiterate... you have been told to use a 2wire and earth loop in method as shown in my example (excluding earth here for clarity), regardless of what the joint methods are whether a pendant, klix or JB you still need to show lamp connections as my example does.

Hint google lighting wiring diagrams and click on your images options for thousands of examples.....Although this may give you the resource to copy the correct set-up you really need to be able to draw this from your teachings or you will really struggle once past the basics.

And remember you're wiring in T&E, so you will need to adapt Darkwoods sketch (and you're own) to take this into account. You will also need to use 3 core + E on the 2 way and intermediate wiring.

ok thanks mate. So far I have wired room 1 + 2. Room 3 is more tricky. I've taken my feed into the first light, down into the two way switch, up into the other two way then into the next light. The lights have the perm feed looped to make them emergencys. Now all I need to do is run a 2 core to both commons on the switches?

Darkwood's diagram is shown as an example of clarity. It shows wiring using singles, as E54 says you need to consider how to wire using twin and earth cable, you would also need 3 core and earth cable, so that you can avoid running a twin and earth cable and using only one core of the cable.
Your last diagram shows a single core leading to many of the light switches.
This diagram shows various methods of wiring two way switching, you are probably leaning toward three wire 3 plate wiring.
two way switching four methods lighting.jpg
Remember that your emergency lights need a permanent line conductor to the key switch and you have shown a single core running from the supply and through all the light fittings , but you already have a permanent line at the emergency light fitting that you can use.

Reply to Urgent loop in help required!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net