Discuss urgent upgrade or wait? of fusebox/ CU and black pitch/ tar on service cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rabu

Hi, would just like to say thanks to anyone who answered my last posts about outside light switch and installing key switch. Anyway was replacing 2 damaged sockets over today, after putting electric back on thought id get 2 pics of our installation and some advise from here, firstly, the Fuse box is from mid 60s when house was built is this due for replacement urgently? or can it wait? since at the moment we arnt having any issues with it also the cable in the house is PVC, solid core (new things) or if origional to the house is the imperial stranded cable but still PVC insulated. Also can anybody tell me what the black stuff is coming from the service cable where it meets the main fuse? looks like pitch or tar to me, what bit is on the floor is solid also when the fuse/ meter was changed in i think 2008 the guy doing it said it was nothing to worry about, which i dont since its been "leaking" since the house was built, just looking to know what it is really and what causes it. Thanks.
urgent upgrade or wait? of fusebox/ CU and black pitch/ tar on service cable DSCN1185 - EletriciansForums.neturgent upgrade or wait? of fusebox/ CU and black pitch/ tar on service cable DSCN1186 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi, would just like to say thanks to anyone who answered my last posts about outside light switch and installing key switch. Anyway was replacing 2 damaged sockets over today, after putting electric back on thought id get 2 pics of our installation and some advise from here, firstly, the Fuse box is from mid 60s when house was built is this due for replacement urgently? or can it wait? since at the moment we arnt having any issues with it also the cable in the house is PVC, solid core (new things) or if origional to the house is the imperial stranded cable but still PVC insulated. Also can anybody tell me what the black stuff is coming from the service cable where it meets the main fuse? looks like pitch or tar to me, what bit is on the floor is solid also when the fuse/ meter was changed in i think 2008 the guy doing it said it was nothing to worry about, which i dont since its been "leaking" since the house was built, just looking to know what it is really and what causes it. Thanks.
View attachment 3186View attachment 3185

If it was my board then I'd change it-do a few IR tests and get a feel for the condition of the installation.

The pitch can be from the service head or the supply cable insulation, it's often the result of the service head running warm at some point (maybe years back).

Southern Electric (for example) say:

There is a substance like black tar leaking from my electricity meter. What should I do?

If the substance is hot and has a strange smell, you need to contact our Emergencyline immediately on 0845 770 80 90.

If Southern Electric is not your local network operator, click here for our list of emergency phone numbers.

If it is cold and there is no smell, phone our Enquiryline on
0845 7444 555. They will pass your details on to our engineers who will contact you to make an appointment to change the fuse.

If Southern Electric is not your local network operator, phone us on 0845 600 2006. Our advisers will take your details and pass them to your local network operator who will contact you to discuss the work"

Reply to urgent upgrade or wait? of fusebox/ CU and black pitch/ tar on service cable in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock