Discuss USA Smart Lightswitch in the UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm renovating my house and want to include smart lightswitches to control all the lighting in the house.
The main issue with doing this is that all the best smart light switches require a neutral wire in order to work. I'm planning on having the house rewired, so can get this sorted, but it appears that the device I'd like is only rated to work with a 120v supply.
I'm wondering if doing this would meet regulations (and if it is even possible to run 120v on the lighting circuits) and also how this would affect any bulbs that I would want to use? I'd like to predominantly use LED dimmable lighting..

thanks in advance

Hi there,

I'm renovating my house and want to include smart lightswitches to control all the lighting in the house.
The main issue with doing this is that all the best smart light switches require a neutral wire in order to work. I'm planning on having the house rewired, so can get this sorted, but it appears that the device I'd like is only rated to work with a 120v supply.
I'm wondering if doing this would meet regulations (and if it is even possible to run 120v on the lighting circuits) and also how this would affect any bulbs that I would want to use? I'd like to predominantly use LED dimmable lighting..

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum mate.
Seems like you are making thinks really complicated.
What is the American product you are interested in and maybe someone could suggest a 240V version.

USA has alot of these smart light switches.
There are a few different protocols available, on the entry level market you have 3 major ones here in the UK.
Zigbee, Zwave, RF these are also available in the USA but they use a different frequency in I believe they use 902 to 928 MHz in Americas and Australia and 868 to 868.6 MHz (Europe) ISM bands.

Its illegal to use 902-928MHz devices in the UK which limits what devices you can buy, over here people tend to use Lightwave RF as its easy and works out of the box.

Personally I find them a bit flaky.
You could always go for a more professional system.. Gira (lighting only), Loxone or KNX but the money more than doubles.
Have a look at www.vesternet.com

Don't run a 120v lighting circuit. Please don't. We will be disappointed in you.

Reply to USA Smart Lightswitch in the UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock