Discuss USB Power Outlet on Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chogreshi

DIY
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to put in two Power Outlets with 2 USB sockets on either side of my bed upstairs. I bought some of these: TopGreener USB Power Outlets but when I go to install them they only have a screw for a Hot, Neutral and Ground wire, but the current outlets have Two Hot wires (one is red), a Neutral and ground.

The power outlets are controlled by a switch on the wall to shut them off (at least one of the outlets in each I think is).

I am wondering if:
1) There is a product I can get that has USB ports and will work on this kind of a circuit, or
2) If there is any way I can make the current ones work. We do not need the ability to turn the outlets on and off though

Thank you

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to put in two Power Outlets with 2 USB sockets on either side of my bed upstairs. I bought some of these: TopGreener USB Power Outlets but when I go to install them they only have a screw for a Hot, Neutral and Ground wire, but the current outlets have Two Hot wires (one is red), a Neutral and ground.

The power outlets are controlled by a switch on the wall to shut them off (at least one of the outlets in each I think is).

I am wondering if:
1) There is a product I can get that has USB ports and will work on this kind of a circuit, or
2) If there is any way I can make the current ones work. We do not need the ability to turn the outlets on and off though

Thank you
Chongreshi what you have bought is the right receptacle but a 120vac which you should have 1 live, 1 neutral and 1 ground. Since you say you don’t have the ability to turn off the power and your profile says DIY you don’t need to do this live. The switch probably does control 1 receptacle. The hot goes to the gold screw the neutral goes to the silver screw and the ground is green. Looking at the directions it should work if wired correctly

Reply to USB Power Outlet on Switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net