Discuss USB powered ornaments in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a bunch of ornaments (10) with LED lights in them. They all take 2x AA batteries and have a switch to turn them on on the ornament. I want to put these on display and don't want to have to pick them all up and switch on 1 by 1. I am currently looking at replacing the battery with a USB adapter (e.g. LR6 AA Battery Eliminator USB Power Supply Cable Replace 1-4pcs 1.5V AA Battery
1.91€ 25% de réduction|LR6 AA éliminateur de batterie USB câble d'alimentation remplacer 1 4 pièces 1.5V AA batterie | AliExpress - https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOVLhPJ) and then plug the USB's into a central power board with USB outlets that I can plug into wifi controlled smart plug. I am worried that I am going to damage the ornaments/burn them out if I don't set it up right and have too much power going through. Any suggestions for someone who knows very little about electronics and erring on the side of caution (as each ornament is about $200) thanks.

TL;DR
Need to plug multiple USB's into power and control remotely without damaging devices.
Personally, I don’t thin aliexpress is the right place to buy anything electrical. Some dodgy low quality products.

ive not seen usb powered battery replacement units, but sometimes you get mains powered at xmas time along with xmas lights.

there shouldn’t be an issue, if you can get good quality. 2x AA is 3 volts dc, and usb outlets are 5. The only thing to watch is the total load running a few of them off one multi port usb hub

Your problem will be that the on/off switch , and other functions, will be an integral part of the devices logic board. It may be possible, if you are handy with a soldering iron and logic components.
Some lights will retain their function settings over power on/off cycles but many just don’t and need a human finger to turn them on.

The bulky-looking USB plug in that link appears to contain a voltage converter. There are different versions of the cable for the different voltages with different numbers of dummy cells. I agree that quality is variable on this sort of thing direct from China. Some are fine, some have flaws that could result in the full 5V from the USB being fed in where 3V should be, in the event of failure, which might or might not cause damage.

But I agree with the above that you will need to check how the ornaments behave when power is applied. Switch them on, take the batteries out for 5 minutes and then put them back in.... does it come back on or does it default to off?

Reply to USB powered ornaments in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net