SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss USB sockets and IR testing help... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

I have seen somewhere recently that one particular brand of USB socket is good for 500v for IR testing, but I can't now remember where or which brand. Is this now the standard for these things? Has anyone come across any brands which are ok to do this on? Help appreciated...

Aico 3000 Range

ashrow

-
Arms
I have never come across any make that says its ok (but only just started reading said paper work that comes with them!)
I either do not test between L-N or just remove socket to carry out full testing

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
It should also be noted that the electronic circuitry inside the SMPS could easily be damaged by a 500 V insulation test injected across it. Consequently the USB port may fail to function following a 500 V Line to Neutral insulation test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It should also be noted that the electronic circuitry inside the SMPS could easily be damaged by a 500 V insulation test injected across it. Consequently the USB port may fail to function following a 500 V Line to Neutral insulation test.
Hence the reason for asking.

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
BG USB sockets state on them that an IR test will give a reading above 10MΩ.
I cannot remember which test i.e. 500V or 250V and I am fairly sure it was not line to neutral.

SparkyChick

Mod
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
British General. Fitted one last week, checked instructions... good to 500v, will result in 10 mega ohm reading (I'm guessing between line and neutral).

I say that because I only did LN to E (other gear on the circuit) and was getting in excess of 400 mega ohm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
British General. Fitted one last week, checked instructions... good to 500v, will result in 10 mega ohm reading (I'm guessing between line and neutral).

I say that because I only did LN to E (other gear on the circuit) and was getting in excess of 400 mega ohm.
Thank you beginning to think I was going mad !

Personally, I remove the sockets and bypass with wago connectors. I don’t like it but I do like the readings! I think these damn things should have an isolator built in (operated from the front with a screwdriver) that disconnects the electronics. Where’s a good BS standard when you need one!

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to USB sockets and IR testing help... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom