Discuss USB sockets testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

loplug

-
Reaction score
does anyone test these in any way if so what do you use. Or do you just test the 13a sockets and make an assumption that the usb skts are working ?

You can get dedicated USB testers for not a lot of money, but to be honest if you want to test a USB outlet just plug in a cheap USB light.

I have seen that they can be got cheep but I was mainly wondering what other people was using or if they even bothered to check the usb output

All you’re testing is a 5v dc supply.
If you know which pins on the plug are the power and which are the data transfer... get an old usb lead, cut it down to the individual cores and use a multimeter to verify 5v + or -

I’ve never actually checked any I’ve fitted. I assume the customer would soon say if it wasn’t working, then it’s a trip to the wholesalers.

All you’re testing is a 5v dc supply.
If you know which pins on the plug are the power and which are the data transfer... get an old usb lead, cut it down to the individual cores and use a multimeter to verify 5v + or -

I’ve never actually checked any I’ve fitted. I assume the customer would soon say if it wasn’t working, then it’s a trip to the wholesalers.

Thanks for that and hadn’t even thought to butcher a lead what a simple solution

Better than plugging your far more expensive phone into a potentially faulty port.

That’s why I wanted to do some sort of check to avoid the scenario where a customers expensive phone gets damaged and when asked if I have tested the usb sockets having to reply no

Interesting question, USB sockets are SELV supplies so does anyone routinely measure IR to confirm isolation? 612.4.1 requires insulation resistance measurement for SELV, one to think about.

Interesting question, USB sockets are SELV supplies so does anyone routinely measure IR to confirm isolation? 612.4.1 requires insulation resistance measurement for SELV, one to think about.
My USB socket was only outputting 2.5V after an IR test. My tenant didn't use it so I don't know what it was like before - but still I'm highly suspicious that the IR test fried it...

Not had any experience with USB sockets does doing an insulation test at 500v to earth fry them or is it only between L & N?
Some do, some don't.

I quoted from the 17th but it's different in the 18th. Table 64 on page 232 specifies minimum insulation resistance of 0.5 MΩ at 250V DC. 643.3.3 recognizes that some electronics may be damaged by test voltages, and allows a limited test.

These are tests before circuits are energised so for practical purposes it may be worth chopping a USB lead, shorting all four wires together and test USB-live and USB-earth. Shorting the USB pins together should protect the electronics against damage, and if it is damaged by that it's not fit for purpose.

Reply to USB sockets testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock