Discuss Use of FP200. Will it get messed up by too much flexing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have electrics to add in a listed barn. It's a unlined shell of a building, grubby cobwebby beams and timbers with external claddding. Customer must have all black wiring so as to hide it as much as possible. Everything will be clipped with metal accessories. Trunking/conduits are too big and because the whole building is utterly wonky, nothing which is straight or right angled will fit anyhow.
The BLACK thing has me going, so prevents T&E.
I immediately said to the customer I could run it in H07RN-F which is defined as "heavy duty" (Hence OK for permanent wiring re 521.9.1 and BS50565-1. ).
The slimmer, cheaper and easier to use H05RR-F (Which is most rubber cable in distributors) is not defined as "heavy duty" but merely "tough". This gets into semantics, but sticking with the regs and BS50565-1, I must have "heavy duty" (that does seem to be a technical terminology) cable for permanent wiring. Hence will probably make myself insist on H07RN-F

An alternative might be black FP200. I have to admit I've not used FP cable in the past. My thinking is, I'll be up a ladder and scaffold looping and flexing this round 300 year old dirty beams. I'm concerned that the FP200 being stiff with it's alloy tube will end up a complete mess if it gets flexed much during install. - Would I be right in that prediction?

Hi - I don't use it myself, as there seems to be advice that it's not approved under BS7671 for fixed installations, but I may be mistaken (?).

Think you may be mistaken mate. We have talked about SY cable not being suitable for 'fixed installations' and that in them posts NYY-J was suggested as a cable that can be.

FP is pretty tough and takes a beating on commercial jobs when dryliners are bashing it about boarding. I think it should be fine as long as your gentle with it, NYY-J is very heavy duty and very versatile but can be a pain to terminate.

I've only used it once, on a barn conversion. It was a bit trouble some, especially at the DB end with the mass of cables. I was only involved in the 2nd fix, it's almost impossible to do without the appropriate stripping device.

Hi Justin
I have used FP a number of times whilst helping to install fire alarm systems. You are correct in asking if it can get messed up if it is flexed too much. From my experience the answer is yes, it will get messed up, you can not treat it the same as pvc twin and earth. But if you make sure it is uncoiled in a controlled manner and the plumbers are not constantly standing on it then things will be fine. It can be made to look incredibly neat when clipped correctly, a bit like pyro.

As for stripping FP, from what I remember we just used a stanley knife, scoring around the outer sleeving, obviously checking to make sure the conductors beneath the internal foil shrouding we not damaged, then bend the cable a few times and the outer sheath snapped. Then sleeve the bare cpc and add the ferrule.

I am sorry if others think this is bad advice but this is my experience..

all the best
Sym

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the NICEIC do not make the rules, they like to think they do but they don't, wonder how many Old tags I'll get for that comment?
Aye up there's another

Hi Justin
I have used FP a number of times whilst helping to install fire alarm systems. You are correct in asking if it can get messed up if it is flexed too much. From my experience the answer is yes, it will get messed up, you can not treat it the same as pvc twin and earth. But if you make sure it is uncoiled in a controlled manner and the plumbers are not constantly standing on it then things will be fine. It can be made to look incredibly neat when clipped correctly, a bit like pyro.

As for stripping FP, from what I remember we just used a stanley knife, scoring around the outer sleeving, obviously checking to make sure the conductors beneath the internal foil shrouding we not damaged, then bend the cable a few times and the outer sheath snapped. Then sleeve the bare cpc and add the ferrule.

I am sorry if others think this is bad advice but this is my experience..

all the best
Sym

Remember the NICEIC do not make the rules, they like to think they do but they don't, wonder how many Old tags I'll get for that comment?

I love it when people come on here and “the NICEIC said” as it usually shows how little training they have had.

I love it when people come on here and “the NICEIC said” as it usually shows how little training they have had.
Know what you mean Dillb, reckon I know of one who will bite, let you lnowif he does.

Reply to Use of FP200. Will it get messed up by too much flexing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock