Discuss Use RCD as on/off switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is it permissible to use the reset + test buttons of an RCD plug adapter as on/off buttons for a 10A load?

I have a 2000W power saw which I want to switch on and off at the socket under load, ie. the tool's own switch will be permanently on. (The details are un-important.)

I have an extension cable with unswitched sockets, and want to use an RCD for safety. I don't really want to add a third component in the form of a switched multi socket adapter, and in any case like the idea of quick, colour-coded push-buttons to operate the saw.

Are the reset & test buttons suitable for such load switching?

No as they are designed as test switches and not for functional switching. They would fail eventually, probably quite quickly with a 10 amp load.

As above, a 2kW power saw will have a high inrush current so it will quickly burn the RCD contacts out.

Ideally you are looking for a "Direct On Line" starter such as this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dol-star-delta-starters/9094079/

Most 3-phase starters can be wired for single phase, they are basically a 3-pole contactor and start/stop buttons to allow the windings of the contactor the be energised and de-energised. Also they release automatically on power fail, so it the mains returns after a fault the motor does not burst in to life!

Also if you are bying a "3 phase" starter it has to be rated at 6kW or more for your 2kW motor as they give the rating when running on 3-phase.

change the extension lead for one with switched outlets. if a switch on that fails, it's a cheap replacement.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with a regular switched outlet as the direct online starter is probably overkill for the occasional use this will be put to.

Thanks

The good thing about an NVR is they switch off automatically if you get a power failure, in as a trip of the MCB or RCD, so when you switch the power back on the unit does not start up by itself, you have to reset the switch, I have them on all my large workshop tools, even the extractor.

Reply to Use RCD as on/off switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock