Discuss Using aerial socket wiring for sky magic eye? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Oli

Gents,

Ive got two aeriel sockes one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, they each have a lenght of aerial cable running from them to the loft, the two wires each have a connector on, which is plugged into an aerial splitter, which then has the cable running to the aeriel which is in the loft.

The aeriels rubbish and the pictures poor, so, If I connect the two cables from the aeriel sockets together using a male and female connector, will I then be able to use the sky magic eye thing to send the sky signal from the lounge to the aerial socket in the bedroom?

Oli

You can do it that way,but if the face plates have resistors in them, they wont let the voltage thru to the magic eye,so you won't be able to change channels in the bedroom.What i've done in the past is take the guts out of the aerial plates and just pop some cable thru the hole.Make sure the braiding isn't touching the centre core of the cable as it causes a short.Hope this helps mate.

You can do it that way,but if the face plates have resistors in them, they wont let the voltage thru to the magic eye,so you won't be able to change channels in the bedroom.What i've done in the past is take the guts out of the aerial plates and just pop some cable thru the hole.Make sure the braiding isn't touching the centre core of the cable as it causes a short.Hope this helps mate.

There just those white plastic ones, not taken them off to look if they have resistors to be honest,

Im trying to avoid having to run cables through the walls, and so was hoping to just join the existing ones.

Try it like the way you said then mate.If the light doesn't come on,on the magic eye then the voltage isn't getting thru.Is the RF2 switched on,on the sky box.

Try it like the way you said then mate.If the light doesn't come on,on the magic eye then the voltage isn't getting thru.Is the RF2 switched on,on the sky box.

tbh I havent got as far as checking that yet mate, just checking the options out, then buying the sky eye.

Cheers

Got it all working by joining the two aerial wires together in the loft using a male to male? connector, picture qualitys not too cracking though, bit snowy, I think its becuase the connectors not great quality.

You could try 2 f connectors with a joiner.

This gives a better connection.

Alternatively, you could also 'splice' the 2 together, by basically, stripping them back and twisting them together.

Plus, if its the RF2 signal that is poor, thats just life as they usually are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Using aerial socket wiring for sky magic eye? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net