Discuss Using an Induction Hob and Fan over at Same Time in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

I have a 1800 watt induction hob and 2300 watt fan oven. Both use 13 amp plugs. Are they using too much power to use at same time?

Thanks for reading

Depends very much on the nature of the of the circuit they are fed from.

If on a 16A radial then possibly if all elements are in use at the same time.

If on a 32A ring circuit then it's unlikely to cause an issue on their own but may when other appliances are in use.

This is why cookers are usually fed on their own circuit.

More detail is needed on how they are fed.

What size is the fuse/breaker that isolates the ovens and is there any circuit description, like "kitchen sockets", "cooker".

Depends very much on the nature of the of the circuit they are fed from.

If on a 16A radial then possibly if all elements are in use at the same time.

If on a 32A ring circuit then it's unlikely to cause an issue on their own but may when other appliances are in use.

This is why cookers are usually fed on their own circuit.

More detail is needed on how they are fed.

What size is the fuse/breaker that isolates the ovens and is there any circuit description, like "kitchen sockets", "cooker".

Thanks for the reply.

They're plugged into the same socket which is on a 23amp ring main. Also on that circuit is a fridge freezer and a seperate freezer. It's not an oven socket.

We've got them plugged in the conservatory for the time being as a new kitchen is being fitted.

We had them both on earlier for the firs time but the fan oven seemed to have stopped working when we put the hob, and i haven't manged to get it going again, so im worried it's damaged the new oven, but it does have power going to it, and nothing tripped out.

We bought this oven and hob as they are plug in ones, so there's no need to wire them to a spur or put in a separate cable (at least that's what i thought).

It's unlikely for one oven to damage the other. One may be faulty.

If the MCB (32A I'm guessing, not 23A' as it don't exist) is not tripping then you aren't at present overloading.

This doesn't mean you won't if the perfect storm of high demand items all kick in at once, for instance the compressor in fridge/freezers use relatively high current on start up.

There is also a recommendation in the regs that all fixed loads over 2KW are on a dedicated feed.

Personally I'd like to see them on their own circuit.

Thanks for the reply.

They're plugged into the same socket which is on a 23amp ring main. Also on that circuit is a fridge freezer and a seperate freezer. It's not an oven socket.

We've got them plugged in the conservatory for the time being as a new kitchen is being fitted.

We had them both on earlier for the firs time but the fan oven seemed to have stopped working when we put the hob, and i haven't manged to get it going again, so im worried it's damaged the new oven, but it does have power going to it, and nothing tripped out.

We bought this oven and hob as they are plug in ones, so there's no need to wire them to a spur or put in a separate cable (at least that's what i thought).

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

each appliance on it's own should not cause any problems, but both together off the same circuit is pushing it. i suggest getting a local sparks in with a view to installign a dedicated cooker circiut. as yoo having th ekitchen refitted, now is the time to do it.

It's unlikely for one oven to damage the other. One may be faulty.

If the MCB (32A I'm guessing, not 23A' as it don't exist) is not tripping then you aren't at present overloading.

This doesn't mean you won't if the perfect storm of high demand items all kick in at once, for instance the compressor in fridge/freezers use relatively high current on start up.

There is also a recommendation in the regs that all fixed loads over 2KW are on a dedicated feed.

Personally I'd like to see them on their own circuit.

Yeah, 32amp (man, im tired.).

I've got an electrician coming this week to have a look.

The whole point of getting ones with plugs was to avoid putting in a cooker circuit, but looks like im going to have to have one after all.

Thanks for all your help.

Well, hob sounds masculine and we all know what goes in the oven. :)

Reply to Using an Induction Hob and Fan over at Same Time in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock