Discuss Using Australian A-Grade license in the U.K. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kennyking

hello, I'm going to be living and working in london next year and havent been able to find out any information as to what my Victorian A-Grade license will allow me to do in the U.K. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Also some good tips for finding work? i prefer fault finding/service work but have worked in and am happy to work in all areas.
thanks in advance
kenny king

suggest the 2382, IET wiring regs, 17th edition would be a good start. it's a 12 week, 1 evening per week course at a cost of around ÂŁ250. not sure how your Oz quals. compare with ours.

cheers, i'll look it up. I'm finding it very difficult to find any hard information on this topic. what is the name of your regulatory body? i"ll try to contact them directly.

hello, I'm going to be living and working in london next year and havent been able to find out any information as to what my Victorian A-Grade license will allow me to do in the U.K. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Also some good tips for finding work? i prefer fault finding/service work but have worked in and am happy to work in all areas.
thanks in advance
kenny king

Kenny,

Unlike Oz, things in this pathetic country of ours are a free for all. You dont actually need any sort of qualifications to be able to work as an Electrician. You get some tools, some transport and stick an ad in the local paper. Job done you are now ready to trade as whatever you decide. You can freely purchase any materials you require, even a gas boiler if you fancy a go at being a heating engineer. The problem we have is that we have loads and loads of crap legislation which cannot be either enforced or policed, nor will it ever be because we return spineless governments election after election.

City and Guilds may be able to point you in the right direction as to qualification parity.

Cheers.........Howard

one thing about over here as opposed to Oz is that the powers that be don't like us fitting socket outlets next to a bath. something to do with putting the wife and a toaster in the bath at the same time.

one thing about over here as opposed to Oz is that the powers that be don't like us fitting socket outlets next to a bath. something to do with putting the wife and a toaster in the bath at the same time.

Easy, just put a 3 meter flex on it, job done, wife and toaster back in the bath on harmony once more.

ha ha ha thanks for the pointers guys, i see the sense of humor is still alive even tho the industry might be in the slumps. (sirkit) cheers for that, that is the information i was looking for. over here the electricity regulator is so strong and viscious that no-one dares pretend to be an electrician. i mean once we have done our a-grades it still only means we can work for someone else, we have to go do another course in order to be able to charge customers directly. massive fines threaten any one who does not comply.

(malcomsanford) - visiting europe for a year holidaying but probably cant afford not to work for the 12 months so going to (try find) work in order to fill the coffers, i hear its in a bit of a rescession there tho. oh well can only try aye?

thanks again fellas - be careful with those toasters tho!

Reply to Using Australian A-Grade license in the U.K. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock