Discuss Using chimney as cable route? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a job on Monday and I'm not sure if there's any regulations that I need to think about.
The job is to install a wall mounted TV on a chimney breast, with the sky box and bluray player installed in the fireplace.
Now obviously the fire isn't in use, and the homeowners are utilising a wasted space.

My thought was to drill straight through the brickwork into the chimney and drop the cables down the void, possibly in pvc conduit. Alternatively, cut a channel into the front of the wall.
Is there any building regs to say I cant drill through it?

I also need to find power for inside the fireplace, so the whole job might not happen if there's no socket nearby.

I could run surface trunking up the front, but that's not going to look very professional.

If the route is ok, my plan was to find a nearby socket on the rfc, spur off through an sfu and run a radial to the fireplace, double socket, or even 2 x doubles there for the equipment. Then run up through the void, coming out behind where the TV will be positioned with a single socket on a dual box, with a brush plate next to it for all the AV cables.

The homeowner will be decorating after, and building shelves inside the fireplace.

I think i'll leave him to mount the TV bracket. Knowing him, it'll be 50" TV at least

Yes.There might be a games console, or whatever. I'm going to need a big hole for HDMI cables.

For all the extra cost I'd put a double socket behind the TV as well. The likes of firesticks and roku sticks are ever improving so who knows what they will plug into hdmi ports in time to come

I got some very good advice on here when I installed a wall-mounted TV...and the brush plates were an excellent choice. I would say that the ones from TLC were far superior to those from Screwfix. The 38mm conduit easily took 2 HDMI, a satellite cable, a coax cable and an ethernet, with room to spare, and the usual 16mm for the power supply. For what it's worth, I bought the HDMI cables from Currys, and opted for the flat ones...they are very easy to install, and take up little space, plus the actual plugs are neat, not too bulky. Fully agree with Murdoch-get client to install the TV bracket beforehand, so you know where everything is to fit. As advised, I used a double back-box, with the media cables to one side, took out the 2 cutouts and sawed the rest out to make a rectangular hole, with grommet strip.
Using chimney as cable route? WP_20180417_12_59_40_Pro[1] - EletriciansForums.net
I fitted a "divider" between the 2 sides of the back-box, keeping separation between the media cables and the power supply. Probably not really necessary.

Just a thought, but if this a semidetached and an old house (Victorian etc) then the fires from this and next door will use the same stack. The bricks inside the stack that separate the flues are usually loosely stacked with bits of mortar faking out. This would compromise the separation of each flue. Then if next door lit a fire that didn’t have a steel liner the result could be dangerous gasses finding a path in to the room. Just something to be aware of.

I think it is a semi... but i'll see tomorrow. I'll find out from the homeowner how long their fire has been removed for. There will be a smell if next door are still using theirs, even from a few months back.

I've worked in attics before where next doors fire smoke was seeping through the walls. No one knew until we were in rewiring. That all had to be sorted before we could go back in.

I'm hoping they haven't just blocked the chimney just above the fireplace so I cant get up the void.
Surface trunking might be my (their) only option.

Reply to Using chimney as cable route? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock