Discuss using company megger in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justsouth

Do you need your own testing equipment calibrated in your own name to be able to perform eicr's or can I use any calibrated tester?

If you work for a decent company, it will in all probability be up to date on calibration. Calibrated equipment should have a testing lab sticker, showing date tested and often date of when next calibration due!!

normally by producing a calibration certificate,if using company equipment they should have all the paperwork on file.

Yea fine if it's your tester and you have had it calibrated. But not if it's a company tester. Has the company given permission?

Yea fine if it's your tester and you have had it calibrated. But not if it's a company tester. Has the company given permission?
I was assuming he meant using a tester supplied by the company he works for while doing work on behalf of his company, in which case they normally hold the paperwork,after all when you get a company vehicle they dont give you the log book,mot and insurance certificate do they?

He didn't say it but what that question basically amounts to is 'can I use my employers gear to do work for my private customer?'

Technically yes, as long as it's an approved tester with a valid calibration certificate, then of course it is fit for the purpose of an EICR.

The real question is whether you should - I wouldn't like to be the OP when his boss is being sued by somebody he's never dealt with as a customer because his company's test equipment said their installation was sound!

As there is legal requirement for instruments to be calibrated, It would stand to reason that there is no requirement for a certificate of calibration to be in your name.

I won’t provide test equipment for work, I expect the company to provide what I need and to have it calibrated. Many engineering companies won’t allow you to use your own gear.

I have my own set of testers (Martindale separates) and a Fluke 1652 MFT which my company supplied, both of which have been calibrated and certified by my employer, which is a bonus.

The real question isn't whether it would stand up to scrutiny it's what the likely consequences would be if his gaffer found out!

I'm sure 99% of bosses realise there staff do private work. Its the nature of the trade.

If your boss is that tight not to let you use a tester out of work he needs his tester sticking up his --- on 500v lol

surely the main point is you know the tester is in calibration and has a certificate.

Just use it.

I'm sure 99% of bosses realise there staff do private work. Its the nature of the trade.

If your boss is that tight not to let you use a tester out of work he needs his tester sticking up his --- on 500v lol

surely the main point is you know the tester is in calibration and has a certificate.

Just use it.

So you think theft is acceptable? Are you a boss struggling to run a successful business? I don't think so.

Just use it.

Your the employee and not the employer right????????????

If your doing work for yourself buy your own gear.. Im not here to make other people rich..

I am a Boss of my self :) sometimes others, but have worked for people before.

I like to have a good relationship with people i work with/for/for me

It obviously best to ask, and with all these things if you break/loose/damage someones property you replace it.

I've worked for people who have been more than happy for me to use there equipment on a weekend.

I just personally wouldn't say no you can't use company equipment after work. but i would hope they understood to take care of said equipment

Every company I have ever worked for (including a local council) have let you use the van, tools and tester 'out of hours', with prior permission of course.

As long as your not competing against your employer I don't see the issue.

I’ve only worked for large multi-nationals (mainly chemical), every one of them has had a clause in their employee T&C’s. You were not allowed to carry out private work without permission. They were perfectly happy for me to run my own photographic and entertainment businesses, but took a dim view of anyone doing any electrical work other that domestic. If you did any private work, you provided your own equipment.

Reply to using company megger in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net