Discuss Using earth as neutral wire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

linuxthefish

-
DIY
Reaction score
If I wired a socket with live to live, earth to neutral, and earth to earth, would this be dangerous and why? I only have a live and earth wire going to a new socket.

400w max would be drawn from the socket.

If I wired a socket with live to live, earth to neutral, and earth to earth, would this be dangerous and why? I only have a live and earth wire going to a new socket.

Apart from anything else,in a worst case scenario losing the earth at the board end would cause any metal cased equipment on that circuit to become live.

Crikey! Well surely you would realise that you have not pulled in a neutral, would it not be obvious? Please tell us this is theoretical

So this would only be a problem if the earth was disconnected from the CU?

Q. What size CSA is the neutral and the CPC conductors? Are they the same? Does one have insulation and the other one doesn't? What are the colour identifications on both conductors? Where are they terminated in the CU? Could that cause any form of confusion?
drunk.gif

If you wired the socket, then why an earth didn't you put a neutral in ? confused.

Who wires a socket without a neutral :s

Reply to Using earth as neutral wire? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Having a challenge understanding the concept behind why when you measure across line and neutral (live circuit) using voltage indicators we have...
Replies
Views
I have just checked a double outlet and it trips at 18ma. It was supposed to be faulty. Washing machine had a bad heater which got replaced but...
Replies
Views
Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views
So, I was messing around yesterday with some old testers I have laying around to see if they still work I found my dads old Robin MFT and noticed...
Replies
Views
Hi, changed a bathroom extractor fan. Easy enough. I was dealing with a grey, black, brown and earth wire. When i tested the black wire, which i...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock