Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Using earth as neutral in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

We’ve pulled in a 185 cable just and realised that we need a neutral. It has 4 cores, brown, black, grey and earth. Can we use the earth as a neutral if we shrink wrap it with neutral sleeve and then run an earth separate? It’s a tri-rated cable, so no armoured to use as earth.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
We’ve pulled in a 185 cable just and realised that we need a neutral. It has 4 cores, brown, black, grey and earth. Can we use the earth as a neutral if we shrink wrap it with neutral sleeve and then run an earth separate? It’s a tri-rated cable, so no armoured to use as earth.
Single or multicore cable, is it buried, in trunking or conduit, or clipped direct

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Single or multicore cable, is it buried, in trunking or conduit, or clipped direct
Tri rated is flexible single insulated conductors.
Without further information I'd guess that for 185mm they'd be in trunking rather than conduit.

D

Deleted member 26818

Could be on ladder rack, or tray.
Yes you can over sleeve the earth core as neutral and pull in a separate earth.
The separate earth can then enter any ferrous magnetic enclosures separately from the 4 core, although doing such is only normally allowed for SWA cables.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You’ll have to excuse me if I use the incorrect terminology. I’m basically an apprentice and have been set this as a task to find out. So it’s 4 core flexi I think they call it. Big thick black cable with no amouring, just 4 cores It’s runs under the floor and then up and onto ladder

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Could be on ladder rack, or tray.
Yes you can over sleeve the earth core as neutral and pull in a separate earth.
The separate earth can then enter any ferrous magnetic enclosures separately from the 4 core, although doing such is only normally allowed for SWA cables.
Now that we know its not actually tri rated cable yes, ladder or tray seems more likely.

There's an interesting debate to be had on whether it is ever allowed, for SWA or anything else.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
You’ll have to excuse me if I use the incorrect terminology. I’m basically an apprentice and have been set this as a task to find out. So it’s 4 core flexi I think they call it. Big thick black cable with no amouring, just 4 cores It’s runs under the floor and then up and onto ladder
Flex is a very general term and could be any number of different cables, it may even not be a flexible cable at all and someone is just referring to it as such.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I don’t know. I’ve pulled in a multi core this week and it was called tri-rated by all the sparks. I will picture it tomorrow

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
Could possibly be a H07RN-F as a 4 core comes in brown, black, grey and green/yellow. IMO if it is an unarmoured multicore cable then the cpc needs to be within the cable hence why it is made with these coloured cores.

Reply to Using earth as neutral in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom