Discuss Using Green/Yellow not as CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For this type of work you should use a 3 core cable. In T&E the cross section of the earth isn't the same as the lives; so earth shouldn't be used as permanent live. Just my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong ( I'm just the apprentice)

But your saying that the only reason you wouldn't use the cpc in Twin cable is the fact it's a smaller CSA?

Nothing to do with it not being insulated then??

But your saying that the only reason you wouldn't use the cpc in Twin cable is the fact it's a smaller CSA?

If it was being used in 2 way lighting the smaller csa could easily cope with the CCC needed - you would not do it for the other reasons not least that every cable should have its own cpc so leave it to what it was designed for and everyone expects it to be there for. :)

The twin earth comes with 2xinsulated 2.5 mm conductors and a 1.5 mm un-insulated conductor (CPC), all the three wrapped round by a PVC outer layer. In case of damage to the outer layer the CPC gets exposed and if it’s a live conductor the consequences will be serious.

Again 1.5 mm is capable of carrying lesser current than the 2.5 mm ones and when the circuit tries to draw more current than normal (because the fan got jammed or developed a fault), then the cable gets hot possibly resulting in a fire.

So as pushrod says, “leave it to what it was designed for and everyone expects it to be there for.”

Cheers!

The twin earth comes with 2xinsulated 2.5 mm conductors and a 1.5 mm un-insulated conductor (CPC), all the three wrapped round by a PVC outer layer. In case of damage to the outer layer the CPC gets exposed and if it’s a live conductor the consequences will be serious.

Again 1.5 mm is capable of carrying lesser current than the 2.5 mm ones and when the circuit tries to draw more current than normal (because the fan got jammed or developed a fault), then the cable gets hot possibly resulting in a fire.

So as pushrod says, “leave it to what it was designed for and everyone expects it to be there for.”

Cheers!

As usual this thread has gone off at a tangent.

I’m sorry but I thought we were talking about a 3 core flexible with a fully insulated CPC, not T+E.

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought I was answering to "mickys86" post where he referred to "cpc in Twin cable".

This thread has gone off at a tangent (as per usual)

It started with a 3 core flexible with an insulated CPC core, somehow we now have T+E with an un-insulated CPC.

If it was being used in 2 way lighting the smaller csa could easily cope with the CCC needed - you would not do it for the other reasons not least that every cable should have its own cpc so leave it to what it was designed for and everyone expects it to be there for. :)

I find it quite disturbing that someone would use the cpc in T+E for anything other than a cpc

Thinking now that I owe goody an 'apology' as it was his post #13 that I was refering to. It seemed like the only reason he was giving not to use the cpc is the CSA difference :)

This thread has gone off at a tangent (as per usual)

It started with a 3 core flexible with an insulated CPC core, somehow we now have T+E with an un-insulated CPC.
That's kind of what happens with a flowing conversation :) the question was sorted ages ago. then it kind of moved onto other things :)

I all, I am new in this forum and I subscribed because I found this interesting thread which is very much related to my inquiry. I have read all the posts and sorry I might not catch all the abbreviations.
I hope I make it short... I built a stepper motor cable assembly by using an off-the shelves cable which has four power cores colored blue, black, brown, and Yellow-Green. My motor is powered by maximum 48 V so is by definition ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) category in Australian Electrical Standards. So, as first, it is not belonging to the "dangerous voltage" classification which is highly regulated for use of Yellow/Green core, I have decided to sleeve my G/Y core on both ends with plain colour (Red was my choice but could be a different plain colour selected anyway). I need the for cores for my two phases stepper motor to work properly and the four cores have same section. Additionally both cable ends are terminated by connectors and encapsulated in backshels.
Does my decision sound lawfully correct ?
Thanks for replies and sorry if my post is not at the right place.

Here's quick question...

Can I sleeve a green & yellow flex conductor with brown or blue to use it as a switched live or neutral?

I'm looking at a situation where I do not need the CPC connection (the timer switch I'm connecting to is class 2 insulated) but I do need live, neutral and switched live. So I'm wondering if I can use 3 core flex (so that the conductors are all insulated within the outer sheath, unlike T&E) and put a brown sleeve on the G/Y to use it as the switched live.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if this has been answered many times before!
No because the CPC is more than likely to have a smaller CSA than the other conductors in the multicore cable

No because the CPC is more than likely to have a smaller CSA than the other conductors in the multicore cable
pete. yous just answered a post from Jun 2011. must be a record.
[automerge]1601017885[/automerge]
I all, I am new in this forum and I subscribed because I found this interesting thread which is very much related to my inquiry. I have read all the posts and sorry I might not catch all the abbreviations.
I hope I make it short... I built a stepper motor cable assembly by using an off-the shelves cable which has four power cores colored blue, black, brown, and Yellow-Green. My motor is powered by maximum 48 V so is by definition ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) category in Australian Electrical Standards. So, as first, it is not belonging to the "dangerous voltage" classification which is highly regulated for use of Yellow/Green core, I have decided to sleeve my G/Y core on both ends with plain colour (Red was my choice but could be a different plain colour selected anyway). I need the for cores for my two phases stepper motor to work properly and the four cores have same section. Additionally both cable ends are terminated by connectors and encapsulated in backshels.
Does my decision sound lawfully correct ?
Thanks for replies and sorry if my post is not at the right place.
not sure of the regs down under, but as it's only 48V, think you can get away with it. after all, in the automotive field, all colours of the rainbow are used, even pink.

pete. yous just answered a post from Jun 2011. must be a record.
[automerge]1601017885[/automerge]

not sure of the regs down under, but as it's only 48V, think you can get away with it. after all, in the automotive field, all colours of the rainbow are used, even pink.
Tel, thanks it was early, just got up, taken my Meds etc, give a guy some latitude Mate.

Doesn't most flex have all the cores the same size? If so the CPC will have the same CSA as the other conductors. If the appliance doesn't require an earth and its ELV then I can't see a problem.

Reply to Using Green/Yellow not as CPC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock