Discuss Using MCB's in parallel to give local isolation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatBob

-
Arms
Reaction score
This installation has a very old DNO metal fuse box with a hinged lid, which may or may not open in one piece.
The DNO's meter feeds 2 x 63A MCB's in a 2 slot CU.

Can I feed a Henley block with both line connections from the 2x63A MCB's, thus using it as a local isolation switch?
The 80-100A DNO fuse should blow before the combined MCB's operate, assuming the current is split equally, which is should be.
The Henley block can then feed a normal CU.

Bit unconventional, but trying to think out of the box whilst waiting for DNO to fit local isolation?

no way mate. suppose you had to isolate the circuit and switched 1 MCB off. circuit would still be energised through the other 1.

An MCB and an isolator are two physically different things. Most MCB's aren't rated as isolators.

Some possibles

Each mcb would need to be linked physically at the very least so they both drop out
You will have a combined rating equivelent to a 126 amp mcb
Each tail would be too small for the combined mcb rating
The mcbs would have a higher rating than the enclosure
It wouldn't be a double pole isolator
Probably the mcbs wouldn't survive a prospective short circuit current

Its probably best staying as just a thought :)

Its so much easier an option, just to dump the mcbs and fit an isolator, then switch the neutral as welll,no dno no hastle no problem

Last edited:
True mate if you wish to use it as in reg 537.1.4, for both a TN and TT system.

In a TN system an isolator only need to switch the LINE conductor if the neutral is deemd to be conected to a reliable earth at a suitably low impedance.

537.1.4 A main switch .. shall interrupt both live conductors of a single-phase supply

Reply to Using MCB's in parallel to give local isolation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net