Discuss Using powerline homeplugs across separate circuits in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jeff105

I have just bought an Innuos music server not realising it has no built in Wi-fi capability, but needs an ethernet wired connection to the router. This could be done only by placing it in the cupboard where the router lives, whereas I wanted to place it alongside my Naim streamer upstairs. So the manufacturer suggests using a couple of powerline homeplugs.

Looking at some advice pages on the net I have tried to clarify if this will work across separate power circuits. Downstairs has two separate mains rings, with a third mains ring upstairs. These are all fed via RCBOs from the same consumer unit and meter supply. Some say they will only work if they are on the same circuit, others that they will work across several circuits from the same supply.

Can anyone advise please?

Yes they will unless you have seriously shoddy wiring.

I'll have you know my wiring is impeccable, but thanks for your reassuring response. Just that I have seen some statements to the effect that RCBOs can be tripped by the use of powerline homeplugs.

I believe you will need to ensure the circuits are on the same phase.

There is only one cable supplying the property and this comes via the meter to the consumer unit. Can I not therefore assume that any circuits split off from the consumer unit would all be on the same phase? Or is it not that simple?

It may be prudent to ensure the devices you opt for do not have a metal earth pin?

Sorry, but I have no idea why this might be necessary, or how it could be acheived given that all my hi fi components are supplied via 3 pin plugs where the earth pin is metal. None of them are double insulated as far as I can tell.

Yes you can assume that the circuits are all on the same phase.

You mention statements regarding RCBOs being tripped by the use of these devices.
RCDs/RCBOs trip when they detect an imbalance in the current flow between line and neutral. The missing current is known as earth leakage.
Some electronic devices have earth leakage in normal operation.
A device with no connection to earth i.e. one with a plug that has a plastic earth pin will not have earth leakage in normal operation.

They are OK, providing that you do not want megabit preformance.

I have a three D-LINK powerline extenders providing ethernet to a couple of "smart" TVs and it works fine for download for streaming films, catch up TV etc.

There are doom nay-sayers around who'll say 'never get me up in one of those'. I expect they'll pop up below shortly.

:handpointdown::handpointdown::handpointdown:

They are OK, providing that you do not want megabit preformance.

I have a three D-LINK powerline extenders providing ethernet to a couple of "smart" TVs and it works fine for download for streaming films, catch up TV etc.

There are doom nay-sayers around who'll say 'never get me up in one of those'. I expect they'll pop up below shortly.

:handpointdown::handpointdown::handpointdown:

Based on these responses and those from other forums I think you are right. I have bought a pair of TPLink 600mbps units, which should be more than enough for high resolution music files. So they will either work, or not. I'll report back.

Other forums??? How unfaithful! Tut tut.

I have a marine reef aquarium and am a moderator on the main UK hobby forum Ultimate Reef. There is a lot of subject matter in that hobby which covers electrics, electronics, wifi etc. There are members there who are qualified electricians in their day jobs, also members who it seems have used powerline homeplugs successfully across different circuits.

No slight intended.

Pleased to report that everything seems to work perfectly using this product. As it has two ethernet ports on each plug I was also able to connect the Naim streamer directly instead of relying on wi-fi reception only.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I have a marine reef aquarium and am a moderator on the main UK hobby forum Ultimate Reef. There is a lot of subject matter in that hobby which covers electrics, electronics, wifi etc. There are members there who are qualified electricians in their day jobs, also members who it seems have used powerline homeplugs successfully across different circuits.

No slight intended.
That forum is huge!

Pleased for them. I didn't realise fish were so complex!

Oh yes. And some like to make it as complex as they can. Keeping delicate corals alive is the really hard part. Needs lots of electrical kit to maintain stability. Electrical gear and salt water makes for a dangerous combination in the hands of the unwary...

Reply to Using powerline homeplugs across separate circuits in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock