Discuss Using Search - Please help in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

static zap

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I know short searches ,yield to many results ,
but have often "forgotten" 1 key phrase ,and end up using an alternate ....
That often seems to "Break" the search of something that I know exists , (amplifying frustration)

Are there any NOT options like ebay . (they use the - ( -ve sign) )

Where you can search for something general Without naming it.
(as its name may lead to an identically named -very common commodity -THAT to don't want to trawl through 10k entries of !)
This is more of a
what's popular --NOT,this -Not,that -Nor,those ......etc
...Main vague item --- Get rid of offerings seen/but unwanted.​

This for example gets you Magos ,and Pinsulating _tape -if you've become totaly dymesic !
If flung into ebay.com or ebay.co.uk

electrical -heatshrink -shrink -tubing -terminals -clips -car

( It's also a fun way to find miss-spelled entries )

--
Or just useful suggestions ,of other ways ! -Caught in tram tracks-

If this feature does work here --please explain what I'm doing wroong.!

I didn't like the search in the old forum as it was rubbish.
The search in this one looks the same.
You can't seem to search for combined words, like "Outside shed supply" without the results coming back after searching for each word.

outside shed supply is like buses. another one will be along in a minute.

outside shed supply is like buses. another one will be along in a minute.

haha... Just using that as an example... The search engine is utter rubbish and most of the time not worth using and the "advanced search" is a laugh...

I've installed and am testing a better search system on tilersforums.com. But to be fair, I'm having problems with it. By coincidence I'm literally just reading about a different one I can use. Just contacting a few other forum owners who have used to it see what their view is.

You can also use Google by typing the following in the search bar...

Code:
site:https://www.electriciansforums.net YOUR SEARCH TERM
... and then of course use Googles own various +/- options.

Okay, I'm installing a new search engine tomorrow and will compile the search index during the less busy times about lunchtime tomorrow.

I'll reply here when I've done it. We will have some common commands to use, I'll update you with what those are tomorrow evening.

:)

I'll reply here when I've done it. We will have some common commands to use, I'll update you with what those are tomorrow evening.

Hi @Dan. Was anything done on this? Do we have some common commands to use?

@Dan
Many thanks new search is just amasing, and I have yet to use most features.
(Hoping I don't bog down the servers too much !)
Searches are returning in milliseconds. I keep tweaking it to see how much data I can get it to return but I haven't even got it up to even half a second yet with loads of query strings added to the search.

It's brilliant.

And it's all thanks to the Subscribed Members. I was able to get a few add-ons with the bit of cash that comes in via the subscriptions. It isn't much per member but it really does help. It goes in my paypal, and I use the paypal cash to buy the software straight away.

Reply to Using Search - Please help in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock