Discuss Using Structural Frame as PE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there,

First time poster, thanks for your advice!

At the factory where I have just joined, we have some electricians that are mainly experienced in residential installs and not a lot of industrial.
I am an electrical engineer with electrical design experience (generally fixed installations/power electronics), but as always work in tandem with sparkies to get the best, compliant solution with respect to AS3000.

I arrived with an enclosure half built and electrical design completed by non-electrical people based on previous sub-contracted designs.
The transportable enclosure (AS3001 comes in to play) built has an external earth stud (welded to frame).
There are multiple inlets, and an onboard generator as backup (RCD protected etc).
Supply (and earthing) will normally be via inlets.
Equipment, a distribution board earth, and eventually a UPS system earth bar (out or our scope) have been bonded to the frame for the purposes of protective earth via earth cable/ring lug/threaded bolts, and not directly to a main earth bar.
All continuity tests pass as part of verification. Electrician does not seem worried.

Does this comply with section 5.3.2 of AS3000?
What is the consensus on this method?

Oof, that's a bit of a gnarly one.

Exerpt from AS3000 5.3.2

5.3.2.1.3 Other materials
Materials other than copper or aluminium may be used as an earthing
conductor. In such cases, the conductor resistance shall be not greater
than that for a copper earthing conductor determined in accordance with
Clause 5.3.3, and the degree of corrosion resistance shall not be inferior to
other materials suitable for the purpose.

5.3.2.2 Conductor type
In addition, and subject to the special conditions of Clause 5.3.2.3, the
following media may be regarded as a protective earthing conductor:
(iii) Conductive framework used for mounting electrical equipment.

5.3.2.3 Special conditions
The following conditions apply where the components in Clause 5.3.2.2(i),
(ii), (iii) or (iv) are used for protective earthing:

(c) Conductive framework:
(i) General Conductive framework may be regarded as a protective
earthing conductor, provided that—
(A) the exposed conductive parts of electrical equipment are
mounted on, and in effective electrical contact with, the
framework; and
(B) the conductive framework is earthed by the connection of a
protective earthing conductor directly to the framework.

So, argument could be made both ways.
On the one hand, the heavy steel frame has a pretty decent resistance, especially as you've said it passed verification. So the installer could just say they're used an alternate earthing conductor.
On the other, by God that's dodgy. Run an earth you cheap b*st*rds.

Whilst it may technically comply, I would never put my name to something where at least the main earthing points weren't linked by proper earth cables. Meaning the inlets, DB earth bar and Genset earth bar should be properly linked, possibly all to the aforementioned central earth stud welded to the frame.

I've not got a copy of AS3001, it may have alternate requirements for protective earthing reticulation around a portable structure.

Reply to Using Structural Frame as PE in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock