Discuss Using SWA for tails. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oli

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just been on a new build (one off build not cookie cutter), original sparks left some SWA for a car charger and electric gate that I have been working on, I have signed off these two new circuits.
The tails have been taken from a DNO supplied main switch, TN-CS with 100A fuse. He has used 16mm SWA cable and the run is roughly 5 or 6 meters.
Is there any justification for using 16mm instead of 25mm
Also thought the DNO don't like you using their fuse to cover any more than 3m of tails.
If it were me I would have come from the DNO main switch with 25mm meter tails into a 100A DP switched fuse, then perhaps you could use 16mm right? Or am I being pedantic, 16mm SWA's current carrying capacity is high enough so who cares?!
How would you guys do it? Cheers

then a isolator should have been fitted .
I reading as there is one provided, That or OP is mixing phrases 'DNO Main Switch with 100A fuse" to be reads it as isolator present otherwise it's just DNO Fuse.

Service head/cutout/DNO Fuse to Henleys' to. Switched fuse than the SWA sub main is how I believe it should go?

Sorry if I've not made it clear.
DNO have provided the cutout/head/fuse, to meter, to an isolator.
The spark then used a wiska box directly below the meter cupboard to terminate the SWA and then it pop's out the top of the wiska into the cupboard without any glands but you can't really get at it as they are about as close as you can get them, there is a small gap as those inbuilt meter boxes have those annoying angles sides, then SWA goes directly into the DNO's isolator and MET.
Hopefully thats clearer.
Cheers
[automerge]1583878144[/automerge]
Service head/cutout/DNO Fuse to Henleys' to. Switched fuse than the SWA sub main is how I believe it should go?

Yes, exactly how I imagined it, would you then use 16 or 25 after the switched fuse?

I would say the swa conductors are not suitably enclosed. Regardless it requires circuit protection and in your general domestic property 16mm is likely to be adequate with suitable circuit protection.

Reply to Using SWA for tails. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net