Discuss Using SY cable in a fixed installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, got a job that’s coming up which involves putting electricity to a wagon that’s half way down a field from someone’s house. They want it so it’s like a caravan, so they can disconnect the power lead whenever they want and move the wagon around.
There’s only 2 circuits in the wagon; 4 lights on a b10 and 3 sockets on a b32.

Do you think SY cable will be acceptable if buried in conduit half way down the field to a supply ballard that are used in caravan sites? Coming from the consumer unit in house protected by RCD. They are plastic consumer units and the customer has already ordered them, so SWA isn’t ideal, and the wagon won’t be pulling much load, I’ve been told a kettle and a small TV will be the only appliances. Cheers

I wouldn't even contemplate using SY. Are you fitting these all insulated consumer units the client has already ordered.

I wouldn't even contemplate using SY. Are you fitting these all insulated consumer units the client has already ordered.

Thought so, I’ve used it before for motor connections and mechanical protection but that’s it. Yeah they’ve got insulated consumer units, but come to think of it I could still use swa still with just an outside gland and earth ring/tag around it?

Are you fitting new all insulated consumer units in a dwelling or are they already in situ, fitted.

Hi, got a job that’s coming up which involves putting electricity to a wagon that’s half way down a field from someone’s house. They want it so it’s like a caravan, so they can disconnect the power lead whenever they want and move the wagon around.
There’s only 2 circuits in the wagon; 4 lights on a b10 and 3 sockets on a b32.

Do you think SY cable will be acceptable if buried in conduit half way down the field to a supply ballard that are used in caravan sites? Coming from the consumer unit in house protected by RCD. They are plastic consumer units and the customer has already ordered them, so SWA isn’t ideal, and the wagon won’t be pulling much load, I’ve been told a kettle and a small TV will be the only appliances. Cheers
NO Never SWA IS BEST

Are you fitting new all insulated consumer units in a dwelling or are they already in situ, fitted.
They have fitted the one insulated consumer unit in the wagon, and then that’s connected to a commando socket half way up the field via a cable, which is then going to be connected to there consumer unit in there house, which is just a normal household c unit

SY is not suitable for burial, even in conduit, or for use outdoors.

I like working with SY but it's not compliant with recognised UK standards for fixed wiring so technically cannot be used.

I often find that people substitute Swa for SY because they are either too lazy to install swa and the proper glands for ‘easy ness’ or they actually believe SY has all the same properties as swa and do not understand its lack of BASEC approval mark or lack of any recognised harmonised standard.
If you need to use flexible cables, then there’s plenty to choose from.

Reply to Using SY cable in a fixed installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock