Discuss Using your multifunction tester to do PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I did the PAT course besides the visual inspection the only mandatory tests were insulation resistance and earth bond test the rest were optional. This presumably is why Kewtech state that their adapter allows the demanded mandatory tests to be performed. The only issue is that a multifunction tester will not be able to test earth bond at higher current ratings 8A 10A 20A etc but there are expensive battery operated PAT testers on the market which only test earth bond at about 200mA similar to the multifunction tester. Having said that the Kewtech adapater just appears to be a socket which allows access to the appliance plug pins with the L-N internally linked, if it is anything more intricate I would be interested to know.

Does anyone do it?

I can not find any reasons why not.

For simple PAt procedures.

The IEE guide to in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment says that you need to carry out earth continuity, insulation resistance & a functional check.
The earth continuity test can be carried out at 20-200mA provided you flex the points of entry between equipment and plug during the test.

So according to the IEE yes you can use an installation tester :)

Has anyone got one of these ?

patadaptorw350h200.jpg

You plug it in to your MFT and it then becomes a PAT tester, Just wondered if there any good?

They sell them in Senate's £39 ,they were giving them away for free when you buy 2 consumer units, don't know if deal is still on though.

I made my own adapter using an extension socket connected to three 4mm test leads that I plug into my multifunction tester. I can do insulation resistance continuity polarity which are the basic tests, and though 200mA is called a soft test, if its good enough for an installation then why not for an appliance?

The standard for pat testing allows the use of other instruments, although it says that a pat tester may be easier to use. my adapter cost me a few pounds and has paid me well. I also made a 110v and 230v bayonet adapter that plug into my meter. Why pay for and carry two testers when one can do everything?

I have asked ECA, NICEIC, NAPIT and they all say that my method is acceptable, provided that I keep my tester calibrated with the adapters provided for examination when I send it in

earth continuity/ imsulation resistance/ fuctional checks is the minimum and i for sure will be using one of these devices too..

I have used pat testers for many years starting with older machines where you had to record the results on a paper carbon duplicating sheet and i can assure you that unless you are only gonna do a few tests for the odd customer then the best way to go is with a modern pat tester as the speed efficiency and ability to download straight into a report generating database program is well well worth the cash or perhaps find a good pat guy in your area and sub the wee jobs to him.

I dont think i would like to use one of these dongle types regularly but i can see the advantage of them for a very rare occasion .Just as i have a MFT for the testing of ""fixed equipment"" such as hand driers ,wall mounted heaters,etc as inferred in cop ..

72-van

Last edited:
Well, yes my first pat tester was a Claire. £1000 for a big box and a ton of kit. As I said in another link I do Daywork pricing, not unit pricing so I get a decent days wage for giving a completed folder containing properly filled out model sheets (V1 etc) and an introductory page advising on user checks etc, which makes a full impressive looking ring bound folder.

The last bloke I did work for paid me for my two days work, then showed me a copy of the last guys hit and run pat test results, all his kit on a single page with a single line for each unit. That guy paid me four times as much as he paid the previous tester, but was well impressed with the product that he got from me and has referred more work from his business contacts to me.

People are getting wise to the scammers and when they see someone doing the job thoroughly they realise that you get what you pay for

Reply to Using your multifunction tester to do PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net