Discuss Utility Room Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys
Client wants 3 wall mounted under-the-unit sockets for washing m/c, dishwasher and tumble drier. There is a lightly used ring cct available above the units. He doesn't want 3 isolation switches above the units due to having a stainless steel splash back and there's no access below.

Is it acceptable to put one 32 amp isolation switch in the ring and feed a radial from the switch to the 3 sockets via 4 sqmm T&E?

It's not a solution shown on the pretty diagram at the back of the Regs, but I don't see why not?

Cheers

Pete

Why not put a 3 gang module away from the steel splash back and feed the sockets from there

get him to fit castors to the machines so he can drag them out to isolate.:mad:

Hi Guys
Client wants 3 wall mounted under-the-unit sockets for washing m/c, dishwasher and tumble drier. There is a lightly used ring cct available above the units. He doesn't want 3 isolation switches above the units due to having a stainless steel splash back and there's no access below.

Is it acceptable to put one 32 amp isolation switch in the ring and feed a radial from the switch to the 3 sockets via 4 sqmm T&E?

It's not a solution shown on the pretty diagram at the back of the Regs, but I don't see why not?

Cheers

Pete
Yes that’s very helpful – why not reply to Piratepete post more obliging, rather than being silly!
There you go Tel consider yourself severely chastised lol

Yeh watch out Tel - Tinks been here for 12 posts - BACK IN YOUR BASKET!
adolph hitler tried . nobody else has come close. my mam was pregnant and was hit by one of them V1 flying bombs. went straight in 1 ear and out the other.

The 4mm shouldn't be overloaded if clipped direct, it can handle 37A, and I assume the OCPD is a 32A breaker. However, it would overload the point of the ring where this 'branch' originates from, hence why I wouldn't do it. Just extend the ring and forget about isolators!

Not likely to be used at once I wouldn't have thought.

And the each will have their own power use pattern, so you'd need to be unlucky to get all 3 running and running their max current at same time.

FWIW at mine it turns out kitchen and utility room was wired on one RFC and it supports kettle, toaster, micro, dishwasher, washer, dryer and a big fridge. I've not said anything to family and they just get on and jam. I did confirm it is a proper ring and the mcb is not cooked, yet :)

And the each will have their own power use pattern, so you'd need to be unlucky to get all 3 running and running their max current at same time.

FWIW at mine it turns out kitchen and utility room was wired on one RFC and it supports kettle, toaster, micro, dishwasher, washer, dryer and a big fridge. I've not said anything to family and they just get on and jam. I did confirm it is a proper ring and the mcb is not cooked, yet :)
we got all that (except for washer/dryer) plus half the downstairs sockets all on a 16A MCB radial. never tripped except when a vivarium heat lamp blew and took out the MCB.

Reply to Utility Room Sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net