Discuss VAN - Buy or lease, pros and cons in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lazlo

Need a bigger van, have about £7-8K to spend, purchased my existing one but wondering if it might be sensible to lease a brand new one, what do others do.....

Pros and Cons from your experience?

get a nice 2nd hand transporter for that money.

Yeah that's what I looked at (along with a newish transit) but I was thinking if this goes wrong on me (like cars/vans do) I'll be up poo creak without an oar. Had a VW Golf GTI Mk4 years ago, had to be the most unreliable car I ever owned, was bad luck but was also major hassle.

My trusty newish combo has been ultra reliable and easy to drive (1.7) but is now way too small...

So if my tax is running at circa the same amount as lease repayments might be I might as well be driving around in a new van and not paying the money to the tax man?

So if my tax is running at circa the same amount as lease repayments might be I might as well be driving around in a new van and not paying the money to the tax man?

Doesn't quite work like that I'm afraid.

If your tax bill per year is £2,000 say, that means your taxable profit must be £10,000. Lease a van at £200 per month and that will cost you £2,400 per year. This reduces your taxable profit by £2,400 to £7,600 per year, however your tax bill is only reduced by £480 to £1,520 per year.

You'd be spending £200 per month on a van to make a £40 per month tax saving.

People seem to have this misconception that spending money is the best way to avoid a high tax bill when in actual fact all spending money does is reduce the amount in your pocket at the end of the month.

In response to the OP, I've always bought outright. Leasing is expensive and will cost you more in the long run than buying. Use part of your annual investment allowance to recoup the cost of buying and that too then becomes 100% tax deductible in the year you make the purchase.

Brilliant, cheers. That's exactly what I needed to know.

I'd need to be spending more like £830 a month on a van to offset the example tax fully, that would be bonkers.

Will probably part ex my van and just get a bigger newer one and get the accountant to sort it out.

Ta

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, cheers. That's exactly what I needed to know.

I'd need to be spending more like £830 a month on a van to offset the example tax fully, that would be bonkers.

Will probably part ex my van and just get a bigger newer one and get the accountant to sort it out.

Ta

In other words, you'd have to spend all of your taxable profit, in order to avoid paying tax on it lol.

Reply to VAN - Buy or lease, pros and cons in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock