Discuss Van deadlocks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have decided it's about time I got some van security and have decided on deadlocks.

I have been quoted £145(+VAT) per lock for a T series (thatcham approved/fancy key) deadlock and £125(+VAT) for an S series deadlock. This is with the following company who has good reviews http://www.mobile-carkit-solutions.co.uk/products/van-locks/locks-4-vans-t-series.html

My questions are:
1. Is this price about right?
2. Any other better forms of security? Don't want slamlocks, not sure about armaplates?
3. Any recommendations for decent companies doing this? (Bristol/Gloucester area or mobile unit).

It is a Renault trafic, and I don't want to do it myself:smile5:

I had deadlocks fitted a couple of months ago by Vanax, and the costs quoted (Thatcham) are very similar. They have the locks supplied by Locks4Vans, doing "only" the fitting.

One point to note, the lock barrel on the side door does not sit flush, but at an angle ( at least on my Vivaro) as the lock casing goes in at an angle due to the door jamb profile.... when I first saw it I thought it wasn't properly fitted!

Glad I got the locks fitted, feel slightly less vulnerable. Just need to always use them!!

...Read the title and thought we had a dutch Bob Marley tribute act...

The deadlocks are a benefit,but only for the occasions where they come in via locked doors,and,of course,you had locked them...

On the occasions where they come through a window and kick in the bulkhead,or you just forgot,because it was a quiet street/busy day/pain in the rear...

I've just brought dead locks for my transit. Brought all the locks from garrison locks £56.00 quid each (but you do have to fit then yourself at that price) haven't fitted them yet but I also brought the reinforcement plates too which I've just had powder coated blue as they were white and would look pants on the blue van. I have also fitted an armour plate over the front ford key cover as these are a weak point that scumbags target

Will let you know how I get on fitting them the.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just brought dead locks for my transit. Brought all the locks from garrison locks £56.00 quid each (but you do have to fit then yourself at that price) haven't fitted them yet but I also brought the reinforcement plates too which I've just had powder coated blue as they were white and would look pants on the blue van. I have also fitted an armour plate over the front ford key cover as these are a weak point that scumbags target

Will let you know how I get on fitting them the.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Gaz, it'll be good to hear how you get on!

One company has advised slam locks on the tailgate and sliding side door and deadlocks on the doors.
Am I right in thinking slam locks use the existing locks but just ensure they are locked as soon as you shut the door? If so, I can't see how this offers any additional protection overnight.

One company has advised slam locks on the tailgate and sliding side door and deadlocks on the doors.
Am I right in thinking slam locks use the existing locks but just ensure they are locked as soon as you shut the door? If so, I can't see how this offers any additional protection overnight.

Slam Locks are a seperate barrel with the existing lock bypassed. Just don't set your keys down and close the door or it will be a loooong day!

The deadlocks will slow a thief somewhat but the issue with them is that they will only stop somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. And that is mostly nobody at all. The main problems with deadlocks and slamlocks are:

1. The door can still be bent open from the top corner. The solution for this is 'high-level' deadlocks, which are only a little bit more expensive.

2. Fit high-level deadlocks and they will cut open the roof. Seriously. And there isn't much you can do about that!

A solution me and my mates have found is fitting a GPS tracker inside one or two pieces of equipment in the van. If the van or its contents get swiped you simply go directly to where it was taken and 'collect' it. Take the police with you; or perhaps a stick and a rottweiler :)

Here are the GPS's that we have fitted in our gear. https://amzn.to/32ifUMk

They are the size of a packet of smokes and the battery lasts for months. Open a panel on your big drill, groundworks tool, carpet cleaner or whatever and gaffa-tape the little beauty inside. Any time you call (or text) the tracker it sends you a text with its location on Google maps. Accuracy is within 10 feet, which should be close enough.

I appreciate this is not really an answer about deadlocks but I hope it helps with your ultimate issue, which is sleeping easy knowing you've done all you can to protect the tools that you use to support your family.

Reply to Van deadlocks? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net