Discuss van security, which is best in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

brs73

-
Reaction score
hello there
my van got broken into the other day and it seems like it was far far too easy for them to get in. one whack of of a wellplaced screwdriver and they were in.
the back door didn't open before they damaged the lock so they done the side door too
my van is leased so i didn't add any door locks as i have to return it the same as new.
my lease is up soon so i was wondering which types of small/medium vans have the best door locks/security features as standard or what people have added themselves

some advice would be very much appreciated
thanks people

Attachments

• IMG00012-20100118-0920.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG00013-20100118-0920.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG00016-20100118-0921.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG00014-20100118-0920.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG00015-20100118-0920.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 67
My company van got done the other day (again) its a Berlingo as well, but they just did the back window (again) and opened the door that way.

yep vans with windows in the back are a pain and need grills on the inside to stop em just cutting the window seal removing glass and getting in.
i've got one of em big round van locks with the bolted 2 halfs which is fine but no good on lease vehicle.
i remember having me company van done over when i was seeing a girl at southampton in the late 80s.
parked in drive of house overnight
had second fix gear in the back for 12 complete houses and all me tools went too.
got me tools back 2 weeks later when they arrested some scrotes on another job and went thru the car.
at the time me tools were stamped which helped identify em.
police dog gave one of em a good chew when he tried to leg it, handler said he had time to roll a smoke before he decided to call him off:D
top man.
i have found a gsm silent alarm is the best way to deal with scum ,i,ve got them on everything of value.
like a normal burgular alarm uses wirless pir's but totally silent ,rings yer mobile when the scrotes are in the back of yer van so they don't know yer coming.
you can also answer the call and listen in to the action.
e-bay around £120 key fob on off like normal car alarm,guys called jim builds em himself great guy.
i've had a couple of "results"on other property since installing em.
nothings to good for the scum.
elfyn

Last edited:
I'd rather have something that kept the scum out, if they are in the van they have at the very least caused damage to get in.

I'd rather have something that kept the scum out, if they are in the van they have at the very least caused damage to get in.
its obvious you'll get damage if they got in or not just from having a go.
dead locks are great but if its dark and they dont spot em they'll still carve yer door up trying.
stick a huge round van lock on and they think you've got something in the back worth having ya can't win either way M8.

Have a look for Armourplate.

They design steel plates that fit around the lock that stops them punching them through.

Not cheap though.

thanks empress
where would get get stamps for drills etc., its a last resort i know but at least the old bill might show a slight bit of interest rather than just giving a crime number.
in london you can report crime on-line, you dont have to speak to anybody. now thats what i call a good service!!

thanks empress
where would get get stamps for drills etc., its a last resort i know but at least the old bill might show a slight bit of interest rather than just giving a crime number.
in london you can report crime on-line, you dont have to speak to anybody. now thats what i call a good service!!
only had me hand tools stamped years ago ,thats all i got back .
all power tools which were hilti at the time had been sold on.prob for £20 down local pub .
crime number online its a crazy world.

as i said before i couldn't upgrade the security cos it is a leased van,
i was wondering if the factory fitted locks on other vans
were as c~~p as the berlingo
ie :ford transit connect,vw transporter etc
cheers

Sorry didnt read your OP proper.

Only thing i would suggest is removing power tools whilst its unattended.

Next time you lease your new van, make sure you get it secure as part of the deal :)

yep vans with windows in the back are a pain and need grills on the inside to stop em just cutting the window seal removing glass and getting in.
i've got one of em big round van locks with the bolted 2 halfs which is fine but no good on lease vehicle.
i remember having me company van done over when i was seeing a girl at southampton in the late 80s.
parked in drive of house overnight
had second fix gear in the back for 12 complete houses and all me tools went too.
got me tools back 2 weeks later when they arrested some scrotes on another job and went thru the car.
at the time me tools were stamped which helped identify em.
police dog gave one of em a good chew when he tried to leg it, handler said he had time to roll a smoke before he decided to call him off:D
top man.
i have found a gsm silent alarm is the best way to deal with scum ,i,ve got them on everything of value.
like a normal burgular alarm uses wirless pir's but totally silent ,rings yer mobile when the scrotes are in the back of yer van so they don't know yer coming.
you can also answer the call and listen in to the action.
e-bay around £120 key fob on off like normal car alarm,guys called jim builds em himself great guy.
i've had a couple of "results"on other property since installing em.
nothings to good for the scum.
elfyn
Hello Empress. Have you got a link or user id for the guy who you got your GSM alarm from. Cheers.

ford transit, connect vans mate have a deadlock system, basically if they smash a window the doors still wont open, also get a full metal bulkhead between the seats so they cant just jump over, and im a lover of vanvault, once they are in all the expensive tools are in a vault they cant just smash and grab so to speak.

I'd love to leave a police dog in the back overnight.......see what happens when some unwashed street urchin chances his arm then!!!!:cool:

A mate of mine has two dam big bruser rottys in his van :D i got 1 but i dont leave tools in van and my van has cctv pointing at it as well as a pillar light with the pir hidden behind the wall if that lets me down then its a trip to get a manikin of the mother in law to sit in the van over night ! that will scare the bajesus out of the little jems !:D
and if all that fails me then sod it i'll wire it up to the cutout and when they get zapped i'll say to the ploice the thievin bleeders tried to thief me power as well !

Last edited by a moderator:
The connect won the most sercure van award a few years back on whatvan I think, I have never personally heard about anyone getting one done over. The only supossed weak spot is the wiring loom to the back doors which can be potentially be cut with a sharp knife according to armoplate who conviently make the guards to protect this vunerable area ;) I don't think i would have the strength to cut through it.

Ever thought about electrifying the van? Crocodile clip on the wheel arch, you get the idea.... Little buggers.

I recommend an estate car with lots of lovely windows to see that theres nothing inside, and clearing out every night. What have you got that necessitates a whole van?

Ever thought about electrifying the van? Crocodile clip on the wheel arch, you get the idea.... Little buggers.

I recommend an estate car with lots of lovely windows to see that theres nothing inside, and clearing out every night. What have you got that necessitates a whole van?
would be a nice thought but for that that case with the guy that electrified his cosworth sierra years ago cos it had been stolen twice.
sadly he went to jail :mad:

Reply to van security, which is best in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net