UK Van Theft

Discuss Van Theft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pepe

-
Reaction score
Hi

During the early hours of Wednesday 1st of September a sparks who lives in my road had his Blue Ford Transit Custom stolen off his drive. He still has both keys to the van so thinks the thieves had some sort of device to start the van. He has it on CCTV two males in balaclavas turned up in another van used a tool to open the drivers door. Had all his tools in the back, lost 15 years worth of building his tools up etc in 10 minutes.

He has since spoken to van dealers who have told him stolen to order thefts of vans has increased massively. Due to van shortages apparently.

Thought i'd post for information area of theft was East Grinstead, West Sussex

Wouldn’t be surprised if it came to that. Police closed case within a few hours. Didn’t check his CCTV, another neighbour has cctv footage of the thieves van. No description/serial numbers taken of his tools. Utter disgrace!!

Ford transit? The right shaped screwdriver can get into those locks.

yes. Give the police all cctv. Get the footage backed up onto cd or usb now as it’ll only last on the recorder until it gets overwritten. Normally 30 days,

Even easier to get into Ford's with central locking, half a tennis ball over the lock and give it a thump, opens all the central locking points.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it came to that. Police closed case within a few hours. Didn’t check his CCTV, another neighbour has cctv footage of the thieves van. No description/serial numbers taken of his tools. Utter disgrace!!
Did they issue a crime reference number there seems to be a lot of cases closed quickly because a crime reference number isn't issued and my understanding is without a CRN the crime doesn't show on the crime stats

Did they issue a crime reference number there seems to be a lot of cases closed quickly because a crime reference number isn't issued and my understanding is without a CRN the crime doesn't show on the crime stats
Yes they issued a crime reference number. But apparently no lines of enquiry to follow so no prospect of finding the culprits ?‍♂️ Didn’t even come to look at his cctv. I don’t think it was passed to a police officer. Case was closed by the call handler.

What a but of scumbags...

Police are appalling, they are just not interested, how about telling them your gay and saying you believe you were targeted and it was a homophobic theft..

I remember when I was attacked when I was in my 20's, left for dead, smashed skull, had to have a plate fitted. Police just took a statement and all they wanted to know was if I was gay, when I said no, the officer said "Thats a shame, if you were it could have been a homophobic attack and we could have looked into it but unfortunately we can only look into so many crimes and so we will close the case unless anything else comes to light, if you recognise them when out and about call us"..

Yes they issued a crime reference number. But apparently no lines of enquiry to follow so no prospect of finding the culprits ?‍♂️ Didn’t even come to look at his cctv. I don’t think it was passed to a police officer. Case was closed by the call handler.
Then like I said, make a complaint. I doubt the incident was closed by the call handler, more likely a 'crime desk'.
I know our public services are under a lot of pressure, but if there's evidence to pursue a prosecution, and that's quite often open to debate, the matter can be reopened.

CCTV evidence is very good, but more often than not, it doesn't actually provide any identifiable evidence.

Then like I said, make a complaint. I doubt the incident was closed by the call handler, more likely a 'crime desk'.
I know our public services are under a lot of pressure, but if there's evidence to pursue a prosecution, and that's quite often open to debate, the matter can be reopened.

CCTV evidence is very good, but more often than not, it doesn't actually provide any identifiable evidence.
I’ve already advised he makes a complaint. I don’t doubt the public services are under extreme pressure.
I think what he found disheartening was how quick it was closed without doing any basic investigation.

i agree with your comments on CCTV but unless it’s viewed how can they rate its evidential value?

I guess it comes down to priorities and I imagine vehicle crime is not a massive priority.

If the van has a wireless key - indeed all cars which have a wireless key - then when not driving the vehicle place it in Faraday pouch like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Fara...t=&hvlocphy=9045003&hvtargid=pla-874677337625

There are devices used by criminals to either clone or relay the data from a key in order to start and drive off the vehicle.

The other top tip is a steering wheel lock and to engrave the registration on all windows and lighting glass/plastic.

Also when parked turn the steering wheel away from centre so that it cannot be dragged away.

I have fitted one of these trackers to my van.

I use a GiffGaff payasyougo sim card which,after putting £10 credit on it,has only used 30p in 6 months.The device lasts approx 6 weeks between charges and it can be hidden anywhere on the van as the signal goes through the metal no trouble.I can track the van via an app.Also useful is the ability to review where the van has been on any set day,with total mileage and time spent at jobs listed for each day.Handy when your not sure how long you spent on each job.

I have been very pleased it and have bought one for the car.Highly recommended.

A call handler normally only gives a call or case reference number which is not a crime reference number not issuing a CRN is a way of fudging the stats as it is not a crime until it is logged as such. It can be difficult to get a crime reference number these days and sometimes you have to push hard to get one

I have fitted one of these trackers to my van.

I use a GiffGaff payasyougo sim card which,after putting £10 credit on it,has only used 30p in 6 months.The device lasts approx 6 weeks between charges and it can be hidden anywhere on the van as the signal goes through the metal no trouble.I can track the van via an app.Also useful is the ability to review where the van has been on any set day,with total mileage and time spent at jobs listed for each day.Handy when your not sure how long you spent on each job.

I have been very pleased it and have bought one for the car.Highly recommended.
I have a cheap tracker hard wired in the car but i also added a battery booster pack .The idea been if thieves remove the battery cable .As they sometimes do this and wait a few days . The battery /booster pack easily keep the tracker going for 10 days . All in less than £100.00 . But no good against simple tool thieves , they will peel a door back and empty a van in 1 min .AND front anyone that wants to try and stop them. This is why so many now use cars and JUST carry what they need for the day. Most carry a huge amount of gear they wont need .So why take the risk ?

Reply to Van Theft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net