Discuss Vans: Caddy, Transit Connect..or bigger? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Chaps,

Just looking at buying a van and currently stuck between a VW Caddy & a Transit Connect. Not sure if I actually need to go bigger than that (doing purely domestic PV & electrical) as I always get the panels delivered direct to site etc.

The Caddy looks to be better on fuel, and just wholly better in a VW sort of way, but the Transit is cheap to buy.

Any thoughts? or do you all use Transporter / Transit sized vans?

Cheers!

D

We use LWB transporters, but we take our kit to site with us, I'm a bit of a fan of VW so my view is a bit biased, but it would be the Caddy for me if I had the choice.

Nah, my wife promises me that a bit of extra length makes no odds & I believe her..

Must admit I want the Caddy but it is significantly more cash. I've just been told by VanMonster that the Connect is more fuel efficient which I'm surprised at - that might swing it for me.

Dansk - do you not find taking the kit to site involves that much more loading & unloading etc? We've had no grief getting it delivered direct to site before install date so I'm hoping I won't have to move 3.84kW of panels very often!

No mate, TBH its one less thing to worry about and we can test the panels as we load them which saves downtime on site, also I don't like to expect the customer to unload the goods and sign for them. Different ways for different people, it works for us this way, but may not suit you.

'Course our man. Tis always interesting to hear how others work tho'.

Cheers

p.s., just to wrap up the thread; I took Lenny's point and have finally landed on the Transit Connect High Roof.

i looked at the berlingo solely cause you can get the seats down in the front so you get 3m rails in without messing around on the roof. seemed like a good option. downside is that is is a belingo. which is why i've not brought it yet.

I went for the transit last couple of vans i've had, must say if money was no object i would have gone for the vw. This time around i went for the high roof and everything goes inside and not on show but the main reason its costing me less in diesel now not having the roofrack and ladders/tube on top. I do a lot of maintenance calls and tend to travel alot but its saving me on average 10% on fuel not carrying all the rubbish on the roof now like we all do.

the firm i work for have just bought 2 brand new movaros. They are massive. all racked out too, ad loadsa room in the front. There is 4m in the back, so weve got room to lay tray, trunking tube ect, without putting it at 45deg across corner to opposte corner like before. the only problem is that it seems to drink like a fish! Only had it a week, so time will tell i suppose!

If I had the choice between cadyy and connect the caddy would win hands down, I had a lovely 2004 caddy which I sold before i went to Australia for a year, the only thing i would say is that I had the SD which was a bit slow, so i would go for the TD, upon returning from oz I dint have much funds and so when i could afford a van i brought the Connect, a 2005 model, got no props with it in general but it is a bit of a dog compared to the caddy, also caddy drive height and position is better and the bulkhead in the transit protudes too far into the load area IMO, also the cady had better storage in the cab than the connect, and also as both my vans were out of warranty being a 2004 and 2005 I do my own servicing to ave costs, the caddy was a sinch to service, just pop the bonnet and everything their accesible, to change the oil filter on the connect i have to have it up on ramps and lie on my back under it, the filter is at the back of the engine mid way up!!!
annoying, The caddy is more money, but if you got the funds go for it

Bigger. You can fit small stuff in a big van, you can't fit big stuff in a small van ;) I went from a half full SWB VW T4 to a half full LWB VW T5 but it gives you twice as much racking and has got me out of so many scrapes. Just think that odd job where you need all your bits plus a large roll of SWA, decide to chuck some extra 3m lengths of anything in the back, Need an 8x4 sheet for something, worktops, filling to go to the tip etc etc.

I looked at going back to something smaller mainly to get something with a bit more poke but then started noticing all the stuff I can do that wouldn't be able to with a caddy. I'd have one as a second van but if you've only got one best being flexible IMO

Thanks chaps. I ended up getting a Peugeot Expert. At the time it was about the smallest 3 seater I could find and it came in pretty cheap. Have to say it's been OK; not perfect but OK:

Size-wise it's fine - I can fit 8 solar panels in comfortably and all the gear and tools for a full PV install.
Engine-wise I've had no trouble
The electrics are diabolical tho - electric window went within days.
And the the general 'useability' isn't ideal - driving anywhere locks all the doors so when you go to pick someone up you have to constantly unlock the passenger door to let them in. Opening the cab doesn't open the back or side doors. There's no lock on the passenger side so you have to walk around to unlock it. And there's some stoopid frickin econo mode which doesn't allow you to have the radio on without the engine running!

But then it was literally half the price of a VW Transporter so I mustn't moan.

Don't believe the German hype!!!

I have a Caddy and on most days would gladly burn it, currently looking for a replacement! Actually when I find a replacement I think I will burn it, shame its only done 20k but burning will bring a great sense of satisfaction! I did buy it against my better judgement, it was cheap, overriding factor. I hate it, far to small, don't believe because its German its better. If its German its way over priced, and it makes you drive like a typical BMW/ Audi/ Merc driver, ie ****!

In a former life I had a Vauxhall combo, which was later replaced with a Caddy. Much preferred the Combo and it had a wee bit more load space than the VW. The panels and mounting kit did arrive on site in a transit though, which helped!

Reply to Vans: Caddy, Transit Connect..or bigger? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net