Discuss Vehicle charging. Earth rods in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve93

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Just a thought where do you guys put the earth spike in when you install car chargers? Local to the charger? What if it’s a driveway? Slabs block paving etc

All situation dependant. if the customer does not want the drive paving taken up then you can clip the earth cable to the house wall and run it to a more suitable spot. I have done one where i ran it along the wall above damp course layer, around the corner and into the flower bed. Customer went round afterwards painted the cable a stone colour! you can put it in conduit if the customer wants it.
Sometimes it cant be avoided though and customer needs to decide if the lifting and resitting of a drive is acceptable given the work they want doing.
Come 18th i am told the dubious practice of a rod not being practical on pme is going, so 99.9% of ev chargers will need a rod or two.
You also have to factor in the need for more than one rod and the distance between them.
Have you got the IET guide for ev installations?

Just a thought where do you guys put the earth spike in when you install car chargers? Local to the charger? What if it’s a driveway? Slabs block paving etc
Drill a hole in the slab, paving block, or as above.

All situation dependant. if the customer does not want the drive paving taken up then you can clip the earth cable to the house wall and run it to a more suitable spot. I have done one where i ran it along the wall above damp course layer, around the corner and into the flower bed. Customer went round afterwards painted the cable a stone colour! you can put it in conduit if the customer wants it.
Sometimes it cant be avoided though and customer needs to decide if the lifting and resitting of a drive is acceptable given the work they want doing.
Come 18th i am told the dubious practice of a rod not being practical on pme is going, so 99.9% of ev chargers will need a rod or two.
You also have to factor in the need for more than one rod and the distance between them.
Yeah I have the code of practice done the course yesterday just looking at situations where like I said drives etc. But I suppose there no easy way of doing it you need a rod no matter what whether it’s lift the drive or run it elsewhere I guess

Never have & probably never will install an EV charger. Never read the CoP etc.

However, I'm just curious. I know the current regs are a bit vague on PME use on 'outdoor' chargers. I came across this one the other day, and I note is states it can be used without installing a rod on a TN-C-S supply. Is this a common product?

Attachments

• EV POD.pdf
    305.6 KB · Views: 20

An earth cable should not be clipped direct to bs7671 as its sheath does not have u/v protection. Should be in conduit. Tin hat.

Reply to Vehicle charging. Earth rods in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net