Discuss Vehicle charging install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electreacle

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi all…
I am an apprentice in my 2nd year… A friend of a friend has a vehicle charging kit, SWA etc etc.. all kit provided…
I feel confident in installing this but wondering would I have to provide a certificate etc?
They want it done as mates rates.

EV chargers are “notifiable jobs’ as they need their own circuit, are you a member of a CPS scheme? Do you have an MFT that can test EV chargers? I personally don’t do ’mates rates’, causes too many issues further down the line, if I don’t do the job, they’ll have to pay full price anyway.

How do you learn if you never have a go at these installations ?

sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do the job . The only thing is you will need a certificate to complete the job. Can your employer assist you with this after you do the job

Remember that you have to notify the DNO either before or after, depending on the size of the charger and the cutout fuse with the increased maximum demand.

I have attached one example of the form used for notification.

Attachments

• 3849.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 29
EV chargers are “notifiable jobs’ as they need their own circuit, are you a member of a CPS scheme? Do you have an MFT that can test EV chargers? I personally don’t do ’mates rates’, causes too many issues further down the line, if I don’t do the job, they’ll have to pay full price anyway.
I’m not a member of an CPS Scheme. I do own a MFT. Would the testing just include all dead tests, ZS, RCD and pfc? Or is there an additional test required?
Thanks for your advice ?

I’m not a member of an CPS Scheme. I do own a MFT. Would the testing just include all dead tests, ZS, RCD and pfc? Or is there an additional test required?
Thanks for your advice ?
The better chargers now stipulate a functional test of the charger using an evse adaptor. Essentially the functional test requirement.on the cert.
It verifies the controller and contactor operate at each charge state.
In terms of load survey you carry it out but can approach dno to discuss. I have a project at the moment where the company want 6 32amp chargers and 2 dc rapid chargers!!
For the single phase they will need to ok the other 2 phases of.the.supply.made live. For the dc rapid charging they will need a new 3 phase supply as together those two chargers will need 50amps each!!

There must be a lot of domestic homes where a 32a-50a Ev charger just isn’t going to happem due to load issues on a single phase 100a supply

how are European countries getting round this issue where some areas only supply a 40a supply to homes ? I know some are 3phase but you are restricted to around 16a per phase

Hi all…
I am an apprentice in my 2nd year… A friend of a friend has a vehicle charging kit, SWA etc etc.. all kit provided…
I feel confident in installing this but wondering would I have to provide a certificate etc?
They want it done as mates rates.
As with any electrical work, an installation certificate is necessary. Your friend won’t be able to take advantage of the government grant for the charger install unless you are an authorised OZEV installer.
Unless your are fully competent in all of the EV requirements (in your regs book!) and with the RCD and earthing rules (you may need an earth rod) and have public liability insurance I would council you not to do your friend this as a favour.

Last edited:
I recently did an electric vehicle charging course, and it didn’t come across to me as straight forward.

The install is actually the easy bit. However the paperwork apparently takes just as long to do.
You need to be a member of a cps, you need to tell the DNO so they can plan future for the projected load increase on their network, and dvla.
You also need to be registered with one or more manufacturers to be able to claim the grant scheme.

your mate of a mate would be better off buying new, and getting an installer with all this in place so they can get the grant.

As for the increase in network load, there would be a practice of load shedding….
See, those smart meters do have a purpose.

For the dc rapid charging they will need a new 3 phase supply as together those two chargers will need 50amps each!!

just bung each one on a 30A 3036. ???

Reply to Vehicle charging install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net