Discuss ventilation brick big no no? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys

A client has requested I replace wiring carried out recently by a builder which consists of an SWA running from the DB, under the floor which then runs through the ventilation brick, the cable had then been run across the garden bed to the flood light mounted on the post.
I would like the dig a 600mm trench which will involve extending the cable as the floor has been laid inside the house, am i over thinking this by suggesting the cable passing through the vent brick is quite bad?

The ventilation bricks are there to ventilate the foundation space beneath your home. Some properties have large amounts of a radioactive substance called Radon, that is why the vents are they to allow the gas not to build up and become dangerous.

Id suggest just popping a 25mm hole through the adajecent side of the brick vent and threading the armoured through there instead. Why they did that in the first place is beyond me!

Standard "air bricks",fitted to conventional cavity wall properties,are there to ventilate the sub-floor area,which in older,conventional timber floor construction,assists in preventing timber issues. In non-sleeved cavities,they can cross ventilate cavity areas,or ventilate solid insulated floors,with the damp/gas membrane,lapped above.

They would not be used to ventilate Radon gas,as this is usually "capped" to the periphery of a property,to prevent direct ingress,via floor areas.

There is a common theme,with certain trades in this country,whereby a lack of understanding of the function of standard building practices,leads to poor long-term thought,when undertaking additional work on a property.

There's possibly a Rule / Reg somewhere that covers it but I honestly can't remember, doesn't really matter.
To me it's just sheer laziness & bad practice, would agree with Lanky & Murdoch: New hole & Deeper trench.

Standard "air bricks",fitted to conventional cavity wall properties,are there to ventilate the sub-floor area,which in older,conventional timber floor construction,assists in preventing timber issues. In non-sleeved cavities,they can cross ventilate cavity areas,or ventilate solid insulated floors,with the damp/gas membrane,lapped above.

They would not be used to ventilate Radon gas,as this is usually "capped" to the periphery of a property,to prevent direct ingress,via floor areas.

There is a common theme,with certain trades in this country,whereby a lack of understanding of the function of standard building practices,leads to poor long-term thought,when undertaking additional work on a property.

i think you should read this-https://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/radon/56998_jRadonSht2PP.pdf

So basically your both right, air bricks can be used to help vent Low levels of Radon. When higher levels are present then ducted ventilation is used to vent the radon to atmosphere.
Years ago we were taught that vent bricks were there to provide cross ventilation of underfloor spaces, this was to help stop dampness & rotting floor timbers.
In those days things like Radon & the problems it causes weren't so well understood or publicised.

I have,14 years ago,when it was current. The "further information" and the "disclaimer" at the bottom of the missive is an indication of what was coming...

Very similar processes occurred during our building industries exploration of other issues in folly,such as insulated concrete floors,cavity insulation,wall ties and many other decade-long experiments.

It is not ignorant or arrogant,to remember that a great deal of our building control specifications,are minimum standards,and not best practice or top-drawer ;)

Ventilation bricks provide ventilation. That's their job.
Using one to pass a cable through will reduce the available ventilation ability of that brick. It will however save having to punch a hole through the fabric of the building that could otherwise be avoided.
I wouldn't alter a run to use a vent brick as a route but if the vent brick was in the right place and there was plenty of ventilation then why not save drilling an extra hole through the brickwork.

Reply to ventilation brick big no no? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock