Discuss Ventilation to Non-Outside Wall Bathroom New Build Flat (2011) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

oasisman

I have a new build flat in Wallington Greater London (Surrey), this is a duplex arrangement with 2 beds and 2 en-suites upstairs. One bathroom has an outside wall with a little window, whereas the other has no window or outside wall.

I'm sure there must be regulations in relation to ventilation, are there any, and if so, what are they?

The boiler I have is a Nibe F470, and you may be wondering why this is relevant, well the builder states the boiler provides adequate ventilation due to its Exhaust Fan feature. However, it's an absolute pain and doesn't make any sense to use it this way except when it's warmer inside than it is outside and one wishes to use the cooling effect (as stated in the Nibe manual). Nibe never state the Exhaust Fan is to be used for ventilation of an enclosed bathroom, since when the vent is switched on, it vents the entire flat, not just a single room. So you can see why it's a bit silly; to vent a nice warm flat in every room just to have a shower!

Cheers.

It looks from their website that the F470 is an exhaust air heat pump (not a "boiler"). I would expect it to suck air from the hot, wet, rooms (kitchen and bathrooms) and then use the heat energy in that air to heat the building, either by direct hot air or 'wet' radiators or underfloor heating. If configured properly, this system might well be suitable for ventilating the bathrooms.

Yeah, I say it's a boiler when it's not, I know, it's just easier to say that as most people haven't heard of these units before.

It's just the bathroom steams up unless I go all the way downstairs, turn the extraction up to 100% and extract all air out of the entire flat (so not energy efficient), have a shower, and then go all the way back downstairs and turn it off.

Are there any regulations for ventilation..?

It looks from their website that the F470 is an exhaust air heat pump (not a "boiler"). I would expect it to suck air from the hot, wet, rooms (kitchen and bathrooms) and then use the heat energy in that air to heat the building, either by direct hot air or 'wet' radiators or underfloor heating. If configured properly, this system might well be suitable for ventilating the bathrooms.

So it seems continuous ventilation (which is what I have using this unit from Nibe) is ok.

However, how does one get over the issue of having to go downstairs to turn it on just to have a shower? With a dedicated fan in the bathroom, usually the fan is tied to the light switch, or a separate switch next to the light switch...

Looking at the government document I've noticed the following in relation to Table 5.2d System 4 - Continuous mechanical supply and extract heat recovery (MVHR)

I believe this relates to the unit I have installed.
It mentions Controls on page 30...
Controls should be set up to operate with occupant intervention (my unit complies).
Controls may have manual or automatic controls to select boost rate (my unit complies).
Any manual boost controls should be provided locally to the spaces being served e.g. Bathrooms and kitchens, as provision of a single centrally located switch may result in fans being left in an inappropriate mode of operation (my unit does not comply - manual controls are located on the unit itself underneath the stairs)

Am I correct in my interpretation of the regulations...?

Reply to Ventilation to Non-Outside Wall Bathroom New Build Flat (2011) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock