Discuss Verifying your non contact voltage tester, the American way. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I just saw this on r/electricians, which is an electricians subreddit but is populated mostly from guys from the US.

I have to say, I appreciate Fluke's warnings : electricians - https://www.reddit.com/r/electricians/comments/b1rv6w/i_have_to_say_i_appreciate_flukes_warnings/eins6m5/

My mind is blown, he's even got people agreeing with him.

The safety standards in USA seem to be very behind the times, feel sorry for these guys and gals going out and risking their lives everyday doing dangerous stuff like this.

in th USA, they've only just graduated from neon screwdrivers. give them another 10 years, they might even progress to proper voltage testers and proving units.

in th USA, they've only just graduated from neon screwdrivers. give them another 10 years, they might even progress to proper voltage testers and proving units.

They are still using wire nuts so i suppose that speaks for itself really.

They wire nut debate is also an interesting one on that sub reddit. I'd say a good 90% of the american sparks believe the wire nut is the best form of connection. They hate wagos and chocs, most of them say they are an inferior connection. When you bring up the idea of conductor fatigue from twisting the conductors it is usually just brushed off.

Edit:

You don’t need to rub anything, just tap it against the base of your thumb.

Mines lights up just from knocking around in my pocket. Its great for when i just want a quick indication of say, if a lamp has failed or there is no supply to it, but i certainly wouldn't be working on that without checking for live with a more accurate tester.

Last edited:
Funny Story about Yank connectors, working in a large building, I used UK stuff for our part of the work, as it was deemed UK Territory, but had to reroute some of the rest of the installation and use US cable and accessories, went to "The Home Depot" and asked for a connector for roughly 16mm2 singles, I was shown what was a brass tube with set screws (like the inside of a choc block) and it included some heat shrink, self explanatory really, but was told I had to be a Master Electrician to be able to use them, just bought them, so simple to use, guess I'm a Master Electrician now, bet change my details.

They are still using wire nuts so i suppose that speaks for itself really.

They wire nut debate is also an interesting one on that sub reddit. I'd say a good 90% of the american sparks believe the wire nut is the best form of connection. They hate wagos and chocs, most of them say they are an inferior connection. When you bring up the idea of conductor fatigue from twisting the conductors it is usually just brushed off.

Edit:

Mines lights up just from knocking around in my pocket. Its great for when i just want a quick indication of say, if a lamp has failed or there is no supply to it, but i certainly wouldn't be working on that without checking for live with a more accurate tester.
Americans don’t hate wago’s thier just not available. When we use boxes the wagos seem to take up more space than fire nuts, we have to do box fill calculations and wagos would also have to be calculated. When I personally use wire nuts I twist all wires together put on a wire nut, then I tape all the wires together along with the wire nuts so the wire nut stays on very tight. Yes we have electricians that really don’t care and try to cram as many wires as they can get them but not under my watch

Reply to Verifying your non contact voltage tester, the American way. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock