Discuss veritas 8c alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Phillcbr400

Sorry can't access the alarms forums hence why it's here.

The plan is to move a veritas 8 compact alarm into an upstairs cupboard and have a remote keypad at the door. When fitting the keypad today just to see if all is ok (which it is), I noticed when I disconnected the supply and battery the bell went off. I understand this is normal due to the bell battery. My question is, when I disconnect and remove all the pir's how will I stop this, is there a code to de activate or reactivate the sounders?
Any help is appreciated

You wont' stop the external sounder all the time there's no power to it. It's designed to do that to stop little oiks from hammering it off the wall.

If you're only removing PIRS or internal devices, simply enter the customer code to silence - it will show a tamper fault (if wired correctly) until the PIR is reassembled and the lid put on, at which point customer code will reset the system.

Ill have to remove the bell wires aswell as the full unit is being moved. Looks like Ill just have to do the prep work first and make sure I work fast with connecting the bell up as priority. I've have the engineer code to disarm the tamper switch.
Thanks for the help

Old trick is to used the control panel battery, and connect to the bell box wires so you can remove the panel, connect the wire going to terminal A to the battery + and connect the wire going to terminal D to the battery -, this should hold off the bell until you relocate and reconnect the main panel again.

Will that trick the external sounder into thinking its connected? Ill give it ago, less time listening to an alarm going off is always going to be a bonus :) plus don't want to wake the old neighbours up from their afternoon nap time.

should be fine until you reconnect the control panel again.

should be fine until you reconnect the control panel again.

This depends how old the battery is ie more than 5 years then you may have problems why dont you just disconnect it or in the afternoon run the battery down 20-30 minuts. Remember if you go the battery route then fingers crossed it does no run flat at 3 in the morning

With oldtimer`s comments in mind, i hope 1. the battery is ok...2. your connecting the bell/battery and commencing work straight away.....as it could be embarrassing at 3am

Yup, bells across sounder + and - should hold it off for a certain amount of time - alternative being to get up a ladder, sadly....

Also remember if you connect straight to the battery its not fused and you do not want to see one of those batteries when they get a short across them.

Its ok to do this for 5-30 minutes but not 1-2 days

fuse is to protect the control panel only, although bell units are now more complex, the charging circuit remains the same 6v battery and a 2.2k resister and diode wired in series, these regulate the charging current so even if the cables short the battery is protected, the old bell box batteries have a habbit of spliting open when there passed there sell by date

Just to correct myself, after reading another post with Oldtimer, were he is totally correct, and I have forgotten that unfused, any fault in the cable to the bell box, could be a problem of melting the cable....

Another way to avoid running the batteries down is to remove the bell box cover and disconnect the battery wires from the terminal strip.
Best wear ear defenders BTW.

Also remember if you connect straight to the battery its not fused and you do not want to see one of those batteries when they get a short across them.

Its ok to do this for 5-30 minutes but not 1-2 days

Fair comment, yes though most SAB units are overcurrent protected now, but to be clear, I wouldn't run a bell hold off on any battery direct for more than an hour or two. Certainly not overnight, even if the panel battery is man enough to supply it on the end of the cable that long.

Just an old trick we used to do when changing a panel....never more than 20 mins to change over, saved getting the ladders out.

Reply to veritas 8c alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock