Discuss Veritas R8 Alarm Problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gerard229

Hi, Please can someone give me some advice.

I have a Veritas R8 Alarm. The alarm was originally fitted by an alarm company. Over the 5 years since the alarm was fitted certain numbers on the remote keypad became faulty (I assume with general use) recently the Part Set on the keypad stopped working so I decided to replace the keypad with a new Veritas R8 Remote Keypad. The difference on the new one is that they have altered the order of the 4 wires. On reconnecting the power and the internal battery the new Keypad apeared to be dead - no lights at all. I then reinstalled the old Remote Keypad which had power, lights and sound. However, I then could not reset the alarm using any code ie. my code, the default which I believe is 4321 or 1234. The remote keypad would accept 2 tries (8 keystrokes in total) before it would buzz rather than bleep when any keys were pressed. I disconnected the power a few more times and tried different combinations but each time got the same results - the alarm would not reset. I checked the Remote Keypad fuse for in the main box which appears to be ok though wouldn't have expected the lights and the sound on the keypad if the keypad duse had blown (or am I mistaken).

Thanks for any help or advice given.

The keypad sounds like it is not faulty, the system needs to be cleared back to factory default. You will need to follow instrustions on how to do an NVM reset (memory clear) all codes will then go back to factory default.

Did you alter the wires in the panel as well as the keypad?...

When you turn on power what happens, are there any beeps coming from the panel?. If you only changed the keypad you shouldn't need to use default codes, use your own code.

If you haven't got the instructions search the web, there available.

Thankyou for the advice.

Tazz
Does the mainboard in the control panel have jumpers for the NVM reset or a manual way to reset the unit to factory settings? I have looked at the installation instructions but can only find references to keypad entries and as I cannot currently get the keypad to accept any codes this is not possible.

Brightspark2
The original Remote Panel had 4 terminals - left to right: 12v/R/T/0
The new Panel had them in the following order - left to right: +/-/T/R
The Main Unit has - left to right: T/R/-/+ These wires in the main unit have not been disconnected or changed during the installation as I didn't see a need.
When I installed the NEW Remote Panel I am pretty sure there was no sound or lights from the remote panel at all.
When I re installed the old remote panel there was a bleep from the remote panel as I reconnected the battery and power. Then two quick beeps repeated (similar to when you set the alarm and are leaving he house) and also an extra beep as ir sensors were triggered also similar to when leaving the house after setting alarm. Howevr, as previously stated the buttons bleeped as I entered the code but did not unset the alarm which kept bleeping. At which point I disconnected the battery and mains power again.

I have downloaded PDFs of installation and operating instructions. I do feel that replacing the keypad should have been as simple as reconnecting the 4 wires and using the same codes which is why I felt that the lack of power etc in the new Remote Panel suggested it was faulty.

alter the wiring in the panel to suit the new keypad. connect them + to +., T to T etc.

I haven't changed any wires in the main panel as I felt there was no need, just connected them to the corresponding terminals in the new Remote Keypad which were in different positions than those in the original Remote Keypad. I connected the corresponding wire colours to the appropriately labeled terminals not just the same order as they came out of the old RKP. Apologies if that was not clear in my previous posts.

If the Engineer code has been lost, provided it has not been locked
(section 3.2.2,
page 21) power down the system (mains and battery). Restore power. All
the
indicator lights will illuminate for 10 seconds. Press RESET or SLOWLY
press and
release the panel lid tamper spring 3 times, before the indicator
lights turn off. The
factory settings have now been re-loaded into the Non Volatile Memory."

Brightspark
Thanks. Yes I have tried that. Unfortunately none of the default codes or my own code worked.

Ian
Thanks also. I assume you mean the small switches that make the Keypad unique. I made sure that these matched the one I removed (which they were by default as it happens as I only have one Remote Keypad on the system).

Tazz
Thanks for the instructions. I will read the section you mention and I will try the reset with the original panel installed and see if that works so that I can get the system back to working at least as well as it did before I installed the new Remote Keypad. I think I will also get in touch with the company that supplied the new keypad and get a replacement as I am still not convinced that it is working due to no lights or sound when I install it.

I assume with the keypad not working that there is no actual way of not setting off the alarm when I do this or a any way to not set off the external bell (which sounds for 15 mins every time I power up the unit to try different the default codes, engineers code etc

Once again thanks for taking the time to post the advice - it is appreciated.

Hi mate just a thought, make sure that the ribbon lead connecting the pcb of the remote keypad to the keys is secure at both ends as this sometimes comes loose during installation. This could also be the issue with the old keypad.

Tazz, Is that in the R8 Installation Manual? The one I have covers 8, 8 compact and R8 but doesn't seem to have the 3.2.2 reference on page 21 (or the 3.2.2 type references for that matter) which document is that in?

Sykraps: Thanks for that I will check and reseat the ribbon cable (and try installing it again if it seems loose) before I contact the supplier.

Tazz, Is that in the R8 Installation Manual? The one I have covers 8, 8 compact and R8 but doesn't seem to have the 3.2.2 reference on page 21 (or the 3.2.2 type references for that matter) which document is that in?

installation covering 8, 8 compact and R8

Just a thought but some panels lock out and the keypad won't work if they have a tamper fault(lid off) try connecting up and replacing the lid see if that works,otherwise if all else fails ring the tech helpline,number on back of manual

So you have tried your own engineers code, not your usual user code but the engineers code?...

Have you tried resetting the panel as mentioned above?...

I have tried the default user code and the default engineer code but neither worked.

I will try the reset tomorrow and post the results on the thread.

Just a thought but some panels lock out and the keypad won't work if they have a tamper fault(lid off) try connecting up and replacing the lid see if that works,otherwise if all else fails ring the tech helpline,number on back of manual

Hi Phil. I didn't post it but yes everytime I reset it I reconnected the battery, pushed the fuse back in to the spur and replaced the Panel cover. I have a few things to try tomorrow from the people who have helped with advice on the thread and will post the results. I am hoping the original installers did not lock the Engineer Code.

Hi mate just a thought, make sure that the ribbon lead connecting the pcb of the remote keypad to the keys is secure at both ends as this sometimes comes loose during installation. This could also be the issue with the old keypad.

I think you may have been spot on because I decided to swap just the actual keypad unit from the new Remote Keypad (which didn't work when I installed it) onto the original board which meant removing and reconnecting the ribbon cable. The system then worked perfectly so I thought I would try the whole new unit again, putting the complete new Remote Keypad back together and installing that. Again which meant that I making sure I installed the ribbon cable firmly. On reconnecting the power the new Remote Keypad had lights and sound which it didn't when I installed it the first time. The only thing I did differently was remove and reconnect the ribbon cable.

What a relief when I saw the lights on the new RKP!

Many thanks to everyone who posted advice. Regards Gerard

Glad it's working out.

A common mistake when removing ribbons is to place them back one or two pins right or left over the original connectors and therefore giving all sorts of weird faults!!!

Seen this happen on a larger scale with industrial drive units,regularly came into it as there were a million bloody pins and no failsafe to connect them.

Reply to Veritas R8 Alarm Problem in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock