Discuss Veritas r8 plus alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Flossmac

Hi
wondered if anyone can give me any advice, I have a veritas r8 plus alarm fitted and over the past few weeks it has gone off at random times when I'm out and the alarm islet. It's always the same zone that shows up -the back room - would anyone be able to tell me what's causing this ?

Thanks

is there a pir on that zone? have you anything in the room that moves? could even be sunlight causing it or it could be a fault would need more info but why not just ring the installer back out?

as phil says...... what detector is on that zone?

I had this with a hall pir worked ok for years then giving out false alarms funny enough always in the afternoon so I said do you keep your lounge door open yes but I have always done that and when did you put that long wal mirror in the hall about a couple of months ago and whendid you start getting false alarms O about a couple of months ago.

I had this with a hall pir worked ok for years then giving out false alarms funny enough always in the afternoon so I said do you keep your lounge door open yes but I have always done that and when did you put that long wal mirror in the hall about a couple of months ago and whendid you start getting false alarms O about a couple of months ago.
I had the same thing years ago turned out the guy banked his coal fire up before going to pub,when flames came through it set off pir,sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Many thanks for all replies. PIR is in back room which is the zone that shows up on panel room gets very little sunlight until later in day, I shut all doors when I go out and there's nothing in that room that can move. I've just given PIR a good clean and Hoover in case of pesky spiders. Will have to callan engineer if it still keeps happening, the alarm was fitted 10 years ago and this is the first time we've had any problems with it :)
thanks again

Many thanks for all replies. PIR is in back room which is the zone that shows up on panel room gets very little sunlight until later in day, I shut all doors when I go out and there's nothing in that room that can move. I've just given PIR a good clean and Hoover in case of pesky spiders. Will have to callan engineer if it still keeps happening, the alarm was fitted 10 years ago and this is the first time we've had any problems with it :)
thanks again

You say ten years if it has not been touched since then you have change the battery inside the panel as it should be changed evey 5 years.

You say ten years if it has not been touched since then you have change the battery inside the panel as it should be changed evey 5 years.

Battery problem as a old battery causes this mostly, even sometimes when the alarm is unset.

Have you had any electrical work done recently? OR Disturbed any canles that may be runnign close to the mains? (induced A/C) in D/C line, deff do not mix well together in alr systems.

Battery problem as a old battery causes this mostly, even sometimes when the alarm is unset.

Have you had any electrical work done recently? OR Disturbed any canles that may be runnign close to the mains? (induced A/C) in D/C line, deff do not mix well together in alr systems.

Err not really let me explain the old BS4737 stated that an alarm should stand alone for 8 hours during a loss of power they also say the battery should be changed when it gets to 80% efficiancy ? But the manufacturer will state that if the battery is in average conditions ie 20oC then it will fall to 80% eff after 5 years but higher the temp shorter the life of the battery. Induced AC yes thi is a problem and you can test for this with a multimeter set for AC and then you measure between +DC and Earth ( Check ACT site for levels)

But yes in my view most false alarms are due to dodgy or just plain nackered batteries but this again does not in my view show up as a zone fault. So process of elimination check for induced and if I think buy dont quote me over 20vac then fit a ACT filter also after 5 years change the battery remember I have done this for 28 years and people do not realise that panel is also a battery charger so when the battery fails it can take the panel with it (try explaining that to a customer who would not get his system serviced or battery changed after 10-15 years)

Also if you think the pir is at fault then easy way to sort this is to exchange it with another in the house ie if lounge is the problem change with hall and if the hall gives false alarms then its the pir.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Veritas r8 plus alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net