Discuss Very Heavy chandelier fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been asked to fit a massive chandelier, 3ft across and weighing 50kg. It comes with an metal eye fitting to go over a hook but i want to make sure i get something substantial. I was thinking of a hook on the end of a long threaded rod that i can bolt into a new brace that ill be fitting in the ceiling. I cant seem to find one that looks strong enough, they all look light duty. Has anyone used these before? or is there a better method? Also any tips on how to get the fitting up there, its above a staircase of course! The last thing i want is an only fools and horses moment.

Hi - just "thinking out loud" if it's hidden I'd be tempted to bend up the threaded rod end at home. Then I'd be able to test it took the weight etc. Or a long rod bent double to form a long U shape twice bolted through a beam, say.

Create a brace across the timbers and securely fix the rod to that.
When sizing up the supports you need to take into account the extra weight that may be applied by those changing the lamps, cleaning, etc..
Also using something like high tensile cord loop it around he fitting and through a pulley, this will make it easier to position and can be left in situ as a fail safe mechanism

hung this one up on a bungee cord. pull down for lamp changes. let go for bouncey mood lighting..
upload_2019-4-27_14-9-10.jpeg

Last one I done on a split staircase with an A frame, as well as the usual fixings I also used a catenary wire of which allowed me to hoist the chandelier into position from the loft, and take the weight whilst fixing. It also remains in place as a secondary back-up :)

I'd be putting a M10 eye bolt through a plate on the ceiling(only to centralise) then through an angle iron spanning the ceiling timber.

Should be able to do Tarzan impressions with the bugger after that...
Made me laugh when I looked it up - 0.25 kg safe working load :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

IMG_1449.jpg

before the collapse of USSR, they made some awesome heavy lift helicoptors. maybe on on the black market/

I would strongly advise against forming an eye or hook,in threaded rod. It is not designed for that purpose,and dependant on the radius,would possibly have multiple fracture points. Any heating,would also form barrier stresses,where the HT steel was altered by dissimilar temperatures.

Not that anyone is thinking of such things,on a quiet Saturday,but a 50 kg chandelier,which falls on to a group of passing nuns.....will be investigated all the way back,to the person making the previously mentioned mistake.

Much easier to use a readily available hook or eye bolt,Hilti do a range,which will come with a certified load spec,and leaves the fairly straightforward task,of making a suitable mount,which may be timber.

Be sure you know the soundness and suitability,of any joists used,and at 50 kg,an acceptable factor of safety,would mean you should be able to hang your own body weight,from such a fixing.

All sounds a bit overkill,but if properly designed,it would have been taken in to account,forces added,such as build up of debris,animals,accidental contact with access devices,Christmas decorations,etc.

Reply to Very Heavy chandelier fitting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net