Discuss very high earth loop readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi all, i was on a job today in leeds just sorting some lighting out and then replaced 3 double socket outlets, did a quick test on the sockets and got an earth loop reading of 64.3 ohms!

pulled the fuses on the circuit in question and will investigate further in a couple of days/

what do you guys think?

loose connections in accessories, dodgy main earth, bit of bell wire in circuit somewhere!!

also theres a main electric feed that looks like it comes from next doors supply, that is just clipped to the ceiling in the basement? doesnt seem right to me that, always lead to beleive that electric boards supplys are not installed in this manor

rich

Supply companys seem to do what they like, not meaning to talk down to You as this is my first post but what is the earthing arrangement i got caught out like this then realised it was a TT system.

As pope has already asked, whats the earthing arrangement.
What was the EFLI on the lights?

You could do with checking other circuits with simular sized cable and if you get a simular reading an investigation needs to carried out on the incoming earth. Note i would recommend and rcd be installedc for protection urgently.

You could do with checking other circuits with simular sized cable and if you get a simular reading an investigation needs to carried out on the incoming earth. Note i would recommend and rcd be installedc for protection urgently.
chances are now as we are in the 17th rcd will need to be install anyway

thanks guys, the house is empy and getting refurbed at the minute, ive pulled the fuse on the circuit that concerns me for now and turned the board off.
im going back on the 11th august and will be fitting a 17th board so rcd wise it will be fine. like you say checking other circuits to see what reading getting off them would be good for next time. would of done that when i was there but it was the end of the day and just did a quick test on that circuit for me own benefit.

from what ive seen at this stage, is theres an swa coming across the basement ceiling that appears to be the mains incomer, i did see an ec15 atached to the sheathing of this cable and am concerned that this is what the elcetric board has in mind for a suitable earth connection!! lol

any ways im back on that job soon so will let yas all know me findings.

thanks guys, the house is empy and getting refurbed at the minute, ive pulled the fuse on the circuit that concerns me for now and turned the board off.
im going back on the 11th august

What the hell are the other trades using for power then:confused:

finally got back to this job...

turns out the swa coming across the basment cieling is definately the incomer and when it enters the service cut out there was a bonding clamp on it, which at first looked like some sort of tn-s setup....

i was getting high readings and did a quick earth loop at socket outlet and got 67 ohms, i went to the old board and connected on the tails and on to thei eath clamp on the incomer...Error 4 .. no earth connection, then founf a 2.5 earth going down some pipe boxing and turns out that the main earth was onto the water supply! tut!

so phoned up yedl and have arranged for them to come out and convert it to PME for £31. things is they cant do it for 12 weeks so im gonna sink an earth rod in for now just to get the new board sorted out etc...

finally got back to this job...

turns out the swa coming across the basment cieling is definately the incomer and when it enters the service cut out there was a bonding clamp on it, which at first looked like some sort of tn-s setup....

i was getting high readings and did a quick earth loop at socket outlet and got 67 ohms, i went to the old board and connected on the tails and on to thei eath clamp on the incomer...Error 4 .. no earth connection, then founf a 2.5 earth going down some pipe boxing and turns out that the main earth was onto the water supply! tut!

so phoned up yedl and have arranged for them to come out and convert it to PME for £31. things is they cant do it for 12 weeks so im gonna sink an earth rod in for now just to get the new board sorted out etc...

What type of meter are you using? used a Megger 2500LC somw time back kept getting the same error code booklet said it was a buffer overflow when i contacted AVO, the engineer said that it was detecting noise on the circuit whic I was testing thats why the error kept coming up.

yeah ive had this before, however all fuses were pulled and nothing was connected, tuned out that the armouring didnt have any sort of earth on it!! surely the other end must be connected to something!? so electric board said they can make it pme but got a good reading after sinking earth rod in so its up to customer now.

Reply to very high earth loop readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock