Discuss Very high Zs reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mspms

Good evening all. I wonder if anyone could give me a steer as to why I am getting very high Zs readings. I have been testin a circuit that has a R1+R2 of 0.23 ohms but I seem to be getting Zs reading on L-E of + 40ohms. L-N is coming in at 0.2ohms. The incoming fuse is a 63amp BS1361 an RCD main switch protecting all circuits. All other tests are fine. I am wondering whether it could be my meter not reading correctly on the Zs test. Any ideas?

Thanks all.

What's your Ze mate? When was your meter last calibrated? It could be a few things what earthing system is it?

try taking as reading on the L busbar. if that is high, then it's due to internal resistance of RCD and/or MCB. flick them on and off a couple of times. if that reading is OK, try at the terminals of the socket, not the front. try flicking the socket switch/es on/off.

try taking as reading on the L busbar. if that is high, then it's due to internal resistance of RCD and/or MCB. flick them on and off a couple of times. if that reading is OK, try at the terminals of the socket, not the front. try flicking the socket switch/es on/off.
Never considered that but will remember it for future reference!!

Thanks for your suggestion I will give it a go. Just to add more pain, I thought I would try a reading from a socket in my own home and again I'm getting +40ohms. Just coincedence?

mft leads. ????

What are you using to test the socket? Have you tried testing at the terminals on the back?

Sorry teletrix. It was a long day. I gave up and came home. The house is empty at the moment so no chance of any mishaps!

My Ze was really low at 0.09ohms. My meter has just been calibrated and it is a TN-C-S.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using my 3pin plug and leads.

Batteries going down? Bad contacts on the three pin plug? Dodgy terminations, any load on the circuit? (mainly an inductive might cause a false reading) What make of RCD is it?

Reply to Very high Zs reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock