Aico 3000
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Very odd current through earthing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Good evening all!

I was on site today relocating a consumer unit in a domestic property and got a hefty whack of a CPC...

I have never seen this much leakage in 20 years of work. It is a TNS system, the main switch was off (I got a whack of a gas bond). I am unsure what to do with the situation?

I have attached a video, feel free to reply!

Attachments

• IMG_5510.MOV
    52.2 MB · Views: 1

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I would contact the DNO as soon as possible. While it might be TN-S at the cutout it might well be fed off a TN-C system with a dodgy PEN somewhere else.

It is hard to see any other explanation of such a high "leakage" current.

Reaction score
it's them gas bods getting even for you not bonding to the external meter.
Apologies, in the video was the main earth to be attached to the incoming cable.

The gas bonding connects directly to the consumer unit.

No load on in the house yet the main earth was arcing when connected to the incoming cable.

I’m returning tomorrow to finish the job so will energise / test then.

Reaction score
That's not leakage, that's a flood. Keep us posted on what you/DNO find out to be the cause..

Reminds me of the 'electrified' driveway gates I had at my old house (new build at the time), due to damage to underground street lighting cable, only became apparent when ground was wet. Not fun.

Reaction score
If this place has a lawn out the back, I'd stick a spike into the ground, well away from everything, run a single cable into the house and measure, with an AC volt meter, what potential there is between the DNO earth terminal and your wire, and the bond wire and your wire. Should give you an idea of which bit the fault lies with.

Reply to Very odd current through earthing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Latest Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.