Discuss Very odd current through earthing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening all!

I was on site today relocating a consumer unit in a domestic property and got a hefty whack of a CPC...

I have never seen this much leakage in 20 years of work. It is a TNS system, the main switch was off (I got a whack of a gas bond). I am unsure what to do with the situation?

I have attached a video, feel free to reply!

Attachments

• IMG_5510.MOV
    52.2 MB
I would contact the DNO as soon as possible. While it might be TN-S at the cutout it might well be fed off a TN-C system with a dodgy PEN somewhere else.

It is hard to see any other explanation of such a high "leakage" current.

agree ^^^. seems like a fault current rather than leakage.

Out of interest, what voltage was measured between the bonding cable and earth?

it's them gas bods getting even for you not bonding to the external meter.

it's them gas bods getting even for you not bonding to the external meter.
Apologies, in the video was the main earth to be attached to the incoming cable.

The gas bonding connects directly to the consumer unit.

No load on in the house yet the main earth was arcing when connected to the incoming cable.

I’m returning tomorrow to finish the job so will energise / test then.

That's not leakage, that's a flood. Keep us posted on what you/DNO find out to be the cause..

Reminds me of the 'electrified' driveway gates I had at my old house (new build at the time), due to damage to underground street lighting cable, only became apparent when ground was wet. Not fun.

If this place has a lawn out the back, I'd stick a spike into the ground, well away from everything, run a single cable into the house and measure, with an AC volt meter, what potential there is between the DNO earth terminal and your wire, and the bond wire and your wire. Should give you an idea of which bit the fault lies with.

If this place has a lawn out the back, I'd stick a spike into the ground, well away from everything, run a single cable into the house and measure, with an AC volt meter, what potential there is between the DNO earth terminal and your wire, and the bond wire and your wire. Should give you an idea of which bit the fault lies with.
I'd love to see you get the rod back out again ?

Reply to Very odd current through earthing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock