Discuss Vfd for well pump in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever built a VFD for a well pump using a pressure transmitter and a Allen Bradley drive. Maybe this isn’t even possible. Just curious. Thanks

This is a bog standard design, depends on what you want the pressure transmitter to control.

As above. Isn't it just a case of the transmitter being an input for the Allen Bradley PLC and an output being the 'Start' signal for the VFD?
Or do you want different controls?

@Rob, you are up early mate...

@Rob, you are up early mate...

I'm not in the UK timezone.

The OP dependent on what he wants to do, could connect the sensor direct to the drive without the need of a PLC and use the drives inbuilt PID or basic logic functions.

It's a really common set up for pumping systems/LEV systems.

I'm not in the UK timezone.

The OP dependent on what he wants to do, could connect the sensor direct to the drive without the need of a PLC and use the drives inbuilt PID or basic logic functions.

It's a really common set up for pumping systems/LEV systems.

True mate. That's why I asked if he wanted different controls

Just to keep the pressure at 60 psi

What VFD are you thinking of using?
As above, why not feed the signal from the sensor directly into the drive? Why the Allen Bradley PLC?

Just to keep the pressure at 60 psi

Easy, just get a VFD with an analog input that matches the output from your pressure transmitter, and that is capable of built in PID control.

How big a drive are you planning on using kW wise?

The Powerflex 7xx seiries would have all the capability. However, if it is a small VFD it may be cheaper to use a small programmable relay to run the PID loop.

Just noticed you're a plumber.

This is a simple job, but above even a "standard electrician"

You'll also have to take into account your local codes. An the system will most likely, dependent on where you are in Canada be (UL) C-UL compliant

Just out of interest @Ganelmatt can you tell us more about what you need this for. I'm just curious as if this is something you are designing then you may have over engineered it a bit.
I'm presuming the VFD is cause the motor is 3 phase and you only have single phase? I can't see a need for variable speed of the motor.
Is the motor existing or are you purchasing one?

What VFD are you thinking of using?
As above, why not feed the signal from the sensor directly into the drive? Why the Allen Bradley PLC?
It’s a Allen bradly drive I have, just wasn’t sure if there’s setting in the drive to say run and keep the pressure sensor reading 60

It’s a Allen bradly drive I have, just wasn’t sure if there’s setting in the drive to say run and keep the pressure sensor reading 60

That makes it more clear. The VFD is Allen Bradley and there is no PLC.

So tell us what you are trying to do, in more detail.
Why are you using a VFD?
Is the pump motor an existing motor?

So tell us what you are trying to do, in more detail.
Why are you using a VFD?
Is the pump motor an existing motor?
I want to convert my current pump to a constant pressure pump with a vfd. I work at a wastewater plant and we have VFDs on everything so I was hoping to do the same to my well pump. I have a basic understanding on how it works, but just unsure of how to wire it up. I bought a Allen Bradley VFD that is for single phase 240v. I want it to work that when the pressure drops the pump comes on and ramps up and down with the demand

What can you tell us about your well pump motor?
Any chance of a pic of the information plate.
Wastewater plants most prob use VFD's as the motors are variable speed. I can't see a plant not having 3 phase.
Depending on your motor you may not need a VFD and just start/stop the motor via a contactor operated by your sensor.
What sensor do you have? (or are looking at)

What can you tell us about your well pump motor?
Any chance of a pic of the information plate.
Wastewater plants most prob use VFD's as the motors are variable speed. I can't see a plant not having 3 phase.
Depending on your motor you may not need a VFD and just start/stop the motor via a contactor operated by your sensor.
What sensor do you have? (or are looking at)
I’m just looking, possible a 4-20 mv sensor

You can set drives up to search for a optimal feedback voltage/current that is user selectable, I would incorporate a pot' for either trimming and/or setting the pressure value, the VFD will then increase or decrease the speed of the pump until that pressure is realised as it looks for the voltage you set.
Although this can be easily set up as a basic program, you may find it gets more complex as you may need to change a few more complex parameters if the drive has them to ensure you don't end up with the drive going into cyclic hunting which will see the pressure rise and fall like a wave diagram, you can limit this sometimes with the pressure sensor choice (integral delays etc) as well as (if included) making changes to parameters in the drive.

You can set drives up to search for a optimal feedback voltage/current that is user selectable, I would incorporate a pot' for either trimming and/or setting the pressure value, the VFD will then increase or decrease the speed of the pump until that pressure is realised as it looks for the voltage you set.
Although this can be easily set up as a basic program, you may find it gets more complex as you may need to change a few more complex parameters if the drive has them to ensure you don't end up with the drive going into cyclic hunting which will see the pressure rise and fall like a wave diagram, you can limit this sometimes with the pressure sensor choice (integral delays etc) as well as (if included) making changes to parameters in the drive.
What is a “pot”?

Reply to Vfd for well pump in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock